Vista does not recognize bootable cds

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by hliss, Feb 27, 2008.

1. hliss

hliss

Hey guys.

I have a problem, I recently had to reinstall vista on my old HP zd8180ea and now I would like to install xp in order to be able to dual boot. However, when I insert the xp cd, while Vista is running the cd is not found in vista. I have also tried to restart the laptop with the cd in it in order to be able to boot from the cd but that did not work either.

And, YES! I have set the boot order to boot from cd first....

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this??

My laptop came with XP installed.

hliss, Feb 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. hliss

WAW8

You know that by installing XP second in a dual-boot scenario, you will wipe out the ability to boot into Vista -- and then have to go into XP and repair that using utilities? Right?

Booting from CD is strictly a BIOS problem -- but it could also be heat related. I have an old HP laptop, and it can only boot from CD when the laptop is first started. Once the laptop warms up, the CD drive gets hot and after that, the heat is so high that the CD laser can't reliably read the media. I have to let the machine cool down before I try to boot or read from the CD.

You said you verified the boot order, so what happens when the CD is in the drive? Just boots into Vista with no hesitation?

Also, you said Vista doesn't read the CD. Just that mean that it just doesn't autoload? OR does that mean when you open Windows Explorer, you can't read the contents of the CD?

If it's an old machine, it may simply be that the CD lens is dirty. I had that same problem on my old HP, so I bought a lens cleaning kit, and I was then able to read CDs again.

WAW8, Feb 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. hliss

hliss

I am aware of that I have to create a dual boot scenario if I want to install XP. I am thinking of maybe installing kubuntu 7.10. I used to have dual boot back in the days, when I was still running XP. I think I used kubuntu 6.06.

If i insert the cd while vista is running the cd is not recognized by vista, no autoload. As if there would be no cd in te drive at all, the same is when I boot with the cd in the drive. It does not make a difference if the computer is cooled down.

I will try to clean the lens to see if that makes a difference.

hliss, Feb 28, 2008
  4. hliss

WAW8

A test I used to do of my old laptop was to insert a data CD in the drive and copy its contents to the hard drive. When the machine was cold, it would work; when hot, it would start failing on data errors part way through.

I know you said you don't have a heat problem, but have you confirmed that you can read an entire CD?

WAW8, Feb 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question