Vista Deleting personal files and desktop settings on every boot.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Shortexistence, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Shortexistence

Shortexistence

It seems to keep all installed programs but any folders I add to my desktop and anything in my user files (pictures, music, etc) get deleted everytime my computer restarts. I've tried restoring from a previous image but that seems to do nothing. I run Avast, Advanced System Care 5, and Adaware to try and keep this thing running smooth. Any ideas. Sorry if something like this has been posted before but I looked and found no simular situations.

Shortexistence, Dec 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Shortexistence

WAW8

Don't use those malware programs, but it's possible that they have a setting in them that automatically clears your desktop on startup -- to prevent malware from writing files there or to your personal folders.

I would try creating a folder in the filesystem, copying the files there -- and seeing if those files and folders also get deleted.

If that still happens, then enter MSCONFIG in the start area, open the Startup tab, and disable the malware programs from starting. Reboot -- hopefully the problem will then not repeat -- indicating that one of more of the malware programs is doing the deletions.

WAW8, Dec 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question