Vista Defragmenter

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007.

1. xPhantomx

xPhantomx

I started defragging my hard drive at 5:30pm CST. There is nothing on my pc but Vista and the drivers I downloaded and installed for my sound and video driver. I just installed Vista yesturday. Amount of space that's used up is 35gigs running Home Premium. It is now about 10:25 and my defrag is STILL running.

I don't ever remember Windows Defragmentor taking this long with XP and that was with apps and games loaded on it.

Is it normal that this is taking this long?? Should I leave my pc on overnight for it to finish or will it ever finish??

Geez!!!

And why can't I see how it's progressing and "percent complete' as we could in XP?

xPhantomx, Apr 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. xPhantomx

cyclic

That does seem an inordinartry long defrag, but if the task is still running it may be that there are some dubious clusters or similar which will take longer to repair and the first defrag is always the longest, I would certainly let it run overnight if it needs it but another idea is to download the Auslogics defragger which is free(from www. majorgeeks.com) or the free 30 day trial of O and O defrag (google for that) which will show you exactly what state the drive is in with regard to fragmentation and either of the above is a damn site faster than the built in defragger of Vista (windows own defag tool has always been crap). You might find running one of those will finish it off much faster and as a preference I would always use just about anything other than the built in one.

Diskeeper is the ultimate defrag tool and if you google them you'll find they have a 'free' home version which even as the basic version is better than most others, it can reorganize and 'pad' out the MFT on any volume so it never gets fragged and other useful stuff, also it's the fastest of any and left to run on an auto schedule will keep your drives very frag free without you even knowing, personally again I find it pays to buy the full version which gives you a whole range of tools to keep your drives in good shape and all done silently in the background.

cyclic, Apr 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. xPhantomx

xPhantomx

Thank you for the info, I'll definatly look into those. I figured it was taking long because I just installed Vista and removed the Windows.old folder off my pc after backing up files I wanted from it. It actually finished a half hour after my first post above at around 11:00pm. Going to go home for lunchand start it again and let it run this afternoon.

I wanted to give the HDa couple defrags with Vista only on it before I started reloading all the apps I had on my pc previously. I wouldn't think this next time it will take as long since it got most of it the first time.

But I'll defenitaly look into a third party defragger like Diskeeper, so thanks again for the info.

xPhantomx, Apr 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question