Vista crashes when connected to RS232 serial modem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by AmericanNightmare, Jun 22, 2007.

1. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

I live way,way out in the sticks so my only option is dial-up and i have been using a Motorola PCI winmodem in my Vista based machine with no problems however it is not quite as reliable or fast as the external modem i use with my dual boot XP/Ubuntu 7.04 machine so i decided to swap them no big deal right? Well as soon as my start page begins to load (about the time the modem starts shaking hands) Vista crashes! I have tried numerous drivers found online assuming it this was the problem but no luck still the same problem. I then thought it may be IRQ related so in addition to shuffling COM assignments i tried pulling every PCI related bit of hardware i could think of in desperation leaving only keyboard,mouse,monitor and the modem hooked up. This modem works great with both Linux (no drivers needed) and with XP Pro (with drivers provided on CD) the modem in question is a Amigo AME-CA95 56Kbps External V.92 DATA/FAX/TAM Modem with a RS232 serial connection and a Conexant/Rockwell chipset however i am doubtful it is a driver issue at this point,is there an issue with Vista and RS232 serial port assignments that could be causing this and if so could someone tell me if they know how to correct it.

AmericanNightmare, Jun 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. AmericanNightmare

kingofnexus

Woah you sure know your stuff. Sorry cant help - seems like you know more than me ;)

kingofnexus, Jun 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

Thanks anyway i finally tracked down the offender it was indeed a driver issue in part this modem is only a true PnP device when used with Linux based OS's as i stated before it needs drivers to function properly when used with a Windows based OS i.e. it is NOT a true Plug and Play device the conflict is only with one particular driver within the set,the "PnP" driver as far as i can find out the few driver sets available for this modem and chipset all use basically the same PnP driver. Oh well the crappy winmodem will have to do for now maybe one day they will actually offer some sort of high speed connection in my area aside from satellite which is too expensive for my cheap blood!

AmericanNightmare, Jun 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question