Vista copy and replace now longer functional

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ject16, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ject16

ject16

Hi,

I've had my vista enabled laptop for just under a week and this morning when i turned on my laptop i noticed a few things not right. One was that the desktop icons had all shifted slightly to the right and the other is my external monitor was at the wrong resolution. All that is fixable but my main concern is that wheni try copy & replace it no longer works. Basically a simple example is that when i open a text file and then immediatley click save it comes back with the error of: "make sure the file name or path is correct" if i try and click save as and go to where the file is located it comes back with the same error. The only way round it is to save the file as "file2" instead of "file", delete the original and rename the new one.

Surely this isn't ment to happen, is there a way to reinstall the copy & replace function or has anyone else experienced this issue??

ject16, Jul 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ject16

WAW8

There is no way to replace discrete functions in Vista. If you have a Vista DVD, you can try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt and Vista will then attempt to restore the system files from the DVD.

If you don't have that, take the Laptop back to where you bought it and demand they restore it.

WAW8, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. ject16

Alejandrosv

Hey, by what you describe, it doesn't really sound like abnormal behavior. Saving a file with a name that already exist is not allowed. does that happen when you drag and drop a file with the same name on the same folder?

Alejandrosv, Jul 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question