vista constantly stops responding

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by hoffies, Nov 5, 2009.

1. hoffies

hoffies

Hi all, from newbie to the forum

I would like some advice please.

Even while typing this message, I have to wait 15 - 60 seconds for Vista to respond to keystrokes and clicks.

This is random, no specific program is running, even when there is only one application open, still, vista will get stuck. This is becoming really annoying.

System:

Acer Travelmater 7320 Laptop

Intel Celeron 550 2.0Ghz 533MHz FSB

2GB DDR2

160GB HDD

Windows Vista Business SP2

hoffies, Nov 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. hoffies

WAW8

There are several things that can slow down Vista, as follows:

1) Malware. Run a virus check using one of the better commercial Antivirus products (e.g., Norton 2009/2010, ESET NOD32 v4, Kaspersky AV)

2) Read the tweak guides we have linked in the pinned posts for things you can do to improve performance.

3) From an elevated command prompt, run MSCONFIG, open the Startup tab, disable all the items, and reboot. If performance is a lot better, one or more of the startup items is the culprit. To find out which one, rerun MSCONFIG, go to the Startup tab, and re-enable the items (one at a time) and reboot. When the machine suddenly slows down, the last item you re-enabled is the culprit.

WAW8, Nov 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. hoffies

unstresst

Testing start-up programs...........would this apply if the lag is only an intermittent thing.

I run just fine most of the day, but once or twice a day Vista slows almost to a freeze

unstresst, Nov 17, 2009
  4. hoffies

MelenG

One of the most common early symptoms of corrupted computer registry is slow or sometimes none responsive desktop. I have had similar problems with vista before but after using a registry cleaner the problem was immediately resolved.

I found a windows registry guide article that has helped me fully understand the early symptoms of a corrupted registry. By reading this guide I was able to realize the role of the registry to the entire computer system. The guide also provides information on how to resolve the issues. There are two main ways to resolve registry issues one is by manually removing all the unnecessary registry entries or by employing a registry cleaner. I choose the latter option while those with enough technical know-how would have probably chosen manual editing.

Hope this helps resolve the problem.

MelenG, Jul 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question