Vista conflicting with multiple programs?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by skateball, Feb 20, 2009.

1. skateball

skateball

Hello,

I am running Vista Home Premium with a quad core machine. Being an artist the main programs I use are 3ds max, photoshop, and of course a web browser (in my case Avant).

My problem is that at certain times (and it is very random) things just start going haywire. I am not sure if this is a problem with Vista or something else. That is why I am hoping someone here knows what the hell is going on. These are the things that happen:

Avant Web browser:

1) When I type on the search box the words disappear after an 'x' amount of letters inputed.
    2) Pressing on the menu tabs (file, edit, view, etc.) should bring down a box with more options but that appears then quickly disappears.

Photoshop CS3:

1) Creating a new file does not bring up a new file window.
    2) When in the process of editing a file all of the tools (brush, eraser, etc) become unusable.
    3) Pressing CTRL or ALT separately will bring up the start menu.
    4) Unable to save files.
    5) Pressing on the menu tabs (file, edit, view, etc.) should bring down a box with more options but that appears then quickly disappears.

3DS Max 9:

1) Unable to open saved files.
    2) Unable to save files.
    3) Viewports freeze and I cannot manipulate the object (rotate, scale, etc)
    4) Pressing CTRL or ALT separately will bring up the start menu.
    5) Pressing on the menu tabs (file, edit, view, etc.) should bring down a box with more options but that appears then quickly disappears.

Desktop and folders:

1} Cannot drag selected icons.

Like I have stated, this problem happens at certain times and as one can imagine are very annoying. It seems like these problems are linked as they all happen at the same time when it does happen.

I hope someone can help me get rid of this problem. Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

Thanks,

Skateball

skateball, Feb 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. skateball

MrMagic

To be of help, we need to know a bit more about your hardware. What processor you have, what video card and how much memory.

Have you cleaned up the disk recently? I had one of a user running CS3 that when I looked, had over 250gb of disk just full of crap and junk files.

Use the windows built in facility to get clean your disk and delete most of the restore points that Windows stores after each update.

After I got rid of the 250gb of junk, optimized the disk for my client, her machine back to normal performance. But, lets hear about your hardware.

MrMagic, Feb 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. skateball

skateball

<DIV>Hey Mr. Magic here is more specs from my pc:</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Acer Aspore Ms640</DIV><DIV>Intel 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 Ghz 2.40 Ghz</DIV><DIV>3Gb RAM </DIV><DIV>32 bit</DIV><DIV>ATI Radeon HD 3650</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I run an Ad Aware scan almost everyday and for some reason my McAfee registraion does not connect to </DIV><DIV>the server so I cannot update it to scan my pc. Do you need anymore info for a diagnosis?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Thanks for replying</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_lblFullMessage>Hello,

I am running Vista Home Premium with a quad core machine. Being an artist the main programs I use are 3ds max, photoshop, and of course a web browser (in my case Avant).

My problem is that at certain times (and it is very random) things just start going haywire. I am not sure if this is a problem with Vista or something else. That is why I am hoping someone here knows what the hell is going on. These are the things that happen:

Avant Web browser:

1) When I type on the search box the words disappear after an 'x' amount of letters inputed.
    2) Pressing on the menu tabs (file, edit, view, etc.) should bring down a box with more options but that appears then quickly disappears.

Photoshop CS3:

1) Creating a new file does not bring up a new file window.
    2) When in the process of editing a file all of the tools (brush, eraser, etc) become unusable.
    3) Pressing CTRL or ALT separately will bring up the start menu.
    4) Unable to save files.

3DS Max 9:

1) Unable to open saved files.
    2) Unable to save files.
    3) Viewports freeze and I cannot manipulate the object (rotate, scale, etc)
    4) Pressing CTRL or ALT separately will bring up the start menu.

Desktop and folders:

1} Cannot drag selected icons.

Like I have stated, this problem happens at certain times and as one can imagine are very annoying. It seems like these problems are linked as they all happen at the same time when it does happen.

I hope someone can help me get rid of this problem. Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

Thanks,

Skateball</SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>

skateball, Feb 21, 2009
  4. skateball

skateball

Oh and i'm running on SP1 for Vista and my pc has640 Gb SATA hard drives. I use only one.

skateball, Feb 21, 2009
  5. skateball

MrMagic

Hey Mr. Magic here is more specs from my pc:

Acer Aspore Ms640

Intel 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 Ghz 2.40 Ghz

3Gb RAM

32 bit

ATI Radeon HD 3650

I run an Ad Aware scan almost everyday and for some reason my McAfee registraion does not connect to

the server so I cannot update it to scan my pc. Do you need anymore info for a diagnosis?

Thanks for replying

Well, you just gave a pretty good clue with your problem McAfee problem, this is a classic symptom of several virus and trojan programs. They block your access to the site that updates your antivirus scanner so you can update and therefore can't find the virus that has attacked you.

I'm only guessing that this is the problem but from all your description, and the way things are acting, I would consider saving as much as you can and doing a reload on that baby. With as much stuff as you have there, I think it its going to be pretty difficult isolating it down to one specific program or driver since you don't get any errors messags except that block on getting to the McAfee site to update.

If it were my machine, I'd save as much of my data as I could and I blow the thing and do a reload. Painful I know but I really don't know what else to tell you. If you don't want to reload, the FIRST thing you absolutely need to do is figure out why McAfee is not connecting and go from there. Virus is my first, best guess on this one.

MrMagic, Feb 22, 2009
  6. skateball

skateball

<DIV>Thanks Mr. Magic for the suggestions.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I recently updated McAfee and for the past two days I've had no problems. But then again it all seems too familiar. No problems for a while then it all comes back!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>But if it does I guess I'll have to reformat. Thanks again man.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl12_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl12_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl12_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl12_lblFullMessage>Hey Mr. Magic here is more specs from my pc:

Acer Aspore Ms640
    Intel 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 Ghz 2.40 Ghz
    3Gb RAM
    32 bit
    ATI Radeon HD 3650

I run an Ad Aware scan almost everyday and for some reason my McAfee registraion does not connect to
    the server so I cannot update it to scan my pc. Do you need anymore info for a diagnosis?

Thanks for replying

Well, you just gave a pretty good clue with your problem McAfee problem, this is a classic symptom of several virus and trojan programs. They block your access to the site that updates your antivirus scanner so you can update and therefore can't find the virus that has attacked you.

I'm only guessing that this is the problem but from all your description, and the way things are acting, I would consider saving as much as you can and doing a reload on that baby. With as much stuff as you have there, I think it its going to be pretty difficult isolating it down to one specific program or driver since you don't get any errors messags except that block on getting to the McAfee site to update.

If it were my machine, I'd save as much of my data as I could and I blow the thing and do a reload. Painful I know but I really don't know what else to tell you. If you don't want to reload, the FIRST thing you absolutely need to do is figure out why McAfee is not connecting and go from there. Virus is my first, best guess on this one.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>

skateball, Feb 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question