Vista computers suddenly showing "secure connection failed" messages when logging onto internet

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Radfem, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Radfem

Radfem

Hi,

I have a Vista desktop and Vista laptop and use the desk top to login to muni wifi through ATT. It's been having some problems with connectivity but in the past few days, when I try to access the login page at ATT, I get the "secured login failed" and that the certificate expired. My clock was set at the right time. That happened twice and I bypassed it through FF. Then on the third time, I got a new SSL message, "SSL received a record that exceed the maximum length" and couldn't get through and then I opened a browser and voila, suddenly the login page showed up, logged in fine, never any more security certificates from any other secured sites.

I troubleshot it through ATT WiFi and they thought it might be a node issue at the access point. So referred me back to city to put a repair order, but city thinks it's my computer. Okay, so I checked and came up with some possibles. But then i decided to try with my Vista laptop which I've hardly used and I got connected, got the blue dot but when it tried to access the login page, same security certificate that it's expired. The IT Tech from my city says he's not had that problem when he's used the Wi Fi. I'd test it on my XP laptop but the browser keeps crashing when I try to use the internet after being connected to the munifi.

I'm stumped, not especially computer literate. Most of what I read here is way over my head. Not sure what to do. IT person at city still thinks it's my computer even though it's two now and he might be right but I don't know why the desk top worked fine for eight months and then started a couple days and the laptop which is almost out of the box has the same problem right away.

Radfem, Apr 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Radfem

Radfem

When I got the "maximum length" error, I did launch my browser again and it went away and the site came up. And it didn't come up this morning. But it seems that might come and go.

It's frustrating when people tell you its your computer or in this case, two. But after pulling my hair out and screaming several hours, I might have a chance of fixing it on my computer(s) but if it's on their end, I don't know.

The ATT guy did think it might be the node for the Munifi. Personally, I think it's the node from Hell, during the past couple months but after hearing and reading the Vista wireless card horror stories going back to when it was in Beta, you just never know.

The issue with my wireless card in the desk top is that every time I boot, it doesn't want to connect for several hours. It just says windows can't connect to [Munifi server] and then suddenly, it works again. It only does that after rebooting computer. But internet connectivity is an issue too. "Local only" Yep, know that well. "Limited Connectivity" or no blue bot, amen to that. In fact, I have a new wireless card coming today but I don't think it's the card but the brand of it.

But suddenly, security certificate errors and then maximum length exceed errors. WTH?!

Anyway, I wondered if anyone's seen anything like this with Vista. Or if it's the Munifi Node from Hell. Thanks for your time.

Radfem, Apr 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Radfem

WAW8

You've only indicated problems with the AT&T wireless access. Without any other access history, it's impossible to know if this is really a problem with "your machine", or just a problem with AT&T. The fact that the same problem appears on other machines but with the same ISP would (to me) tend to rule out the "your machine" explanation.

I used to use Verizon high-speed internet, but I had so many problems dealing with their idiotic support folks, that I switched to a different ISP -- and surprise, I have not had a single connection problem since.

It's a lame excuse when support folks blame the customer's computer, but in a day and age when tech support is a "business" not a "technical service", support folks are pressured more to close tickets than they are to actually solve customer problems.

Suggest you try wifi access elsewhere to see if your machine has similar problems with all wifi networks, or just AT&T.

WAW8, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Radfem

Radfem

Thanks for your response! Guess what. The city IT person just notified me that ATT failed to register their security certificate but has now done so and the error messages are gone now. So at least this problem was on its end.

Radfem, Apr 7, 2009
  5. Radfem

WAW8

Gee -- the problem was on AT&T's end! Not surprised.

But glad to see it's working for you now.

WAW8, Apr 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question