Vista can't read or play DVDs

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by kunalashar, Jun 14, 2007.

1. kunalashar

kunalashar

Vista Home Premium, 2 GB RAM, 32-bit, Sony Vaio system.

When I insert a DVD in the DVD-RW drive, nothing seems to happen. The DVD light flashes for a while, then stops.

Starting Media Center, WinDVD, etc., doesn't help. For example, with the DVD in the drive, when I start MediaCenter, I see the message "Windows Media Center cannot detect a video DVD in the DVD-ROM drive. Insert a video DVD in the drive".

(this is a DVD RW drive).

Windows Explorer and AnyDVD say that there's nothing in the drive. AVS DVD player says that its either an unsupported file format or an unsupported codec.

*** The DVD plays just fine on Windows XP!! ***

Please help!

kunalashar, Jun 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kunalashar

Camride

Does the drive recognize a regular cd? You may need to uninstall and reinstall it through the device manager.

Camride, Jun 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. kunalashar

kingofnexus

Perhaps the DVD drive is old. I have an old DVD drive which I rescued from a skip (before you think anything i'm not that hard up ;)) and it fails to play DVD/CD disks which ive burn't myself.

I would reccomend doing camrides suggestion, uninstalling the driver in device manager then hitting refresh for windows to find the drive again and reinstall the driver for it.

kingofnexus, Jun 14, 2007
  4. kunalashar

redcow

redcow, Jun 16, 2007
  5. kunalashar

Wojman

I had the same problem with a buddy of mines computer, and i tried everything updating the drivers, that didn't work, i tried cleaning the CD-RW drive, that didn't work. So what i did was i took the CD-RW drive out to take it to one of my tech guy who's A+ Certified to find out he wasn't there, so i put the drive back into my computer and when i did it worked, i don't understand how/why but it worked. So if all else fails try just unplugging the Drive out from the computer and plug it back in.

Only go with this as a Plan B, though. (Especially if the drive is somewhat old)

Wojman, Jun 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question