Vista c media driver, help me

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by pro0fun, Dec 29, 2011.

1. pro0fun

pro0fun

Allright, so, I just installed vista, I have a driver for sound card, but it doesnt work on vista, it says it only works for XP. The only thing i know that the sound card is c media, and if i go to system information all it says that its high definition audio device.... tried to find a driver and i cant.... plz help me, because im going nuts. Thanks

pro0fun, Dec 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. pro0fun

WAW8

IF it is an actual sound card, not a chip on the motherboard, you need to open the case of the PC and write down the info printed on the audio chip on the card. For example, I have an old BlueGears card, and the sound chip has "CMI-8788" printed on its surface. The sound chip is typically the largest chip on the card and has LOTS of leads going to it.

Once you have that info, you would need to Google on that information to look for drivers. The sound drivers are actually made for the chips, not for the individual cards. The link below is to the CMedia driver download site:

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/en/DownloadCenter_Detail2.aspx

If you can't find any Vista or Win7 drivers for that sound chip, then you're out of luck. MS changed both the audio and visual models for Vista, and XP era drivers mostly don't work in Vista for audio and video.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
    WAW8, Jan 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question