vista business 64bit or 32-bit wont recognize 9600gt

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by muncle6, Nov 5, 2008.

1. muncle6

muncle6

i have vista businesss 32-bit installed on my computer, however vista wont recognize or even see the 9600gt at all. i kinda need vista to see this considering what i plan to do with this computer; gaming, dual screens, tv, dvd's, ect. any reason why it wouldnt see the graphics card?

thanks

muncle6

muncle6, Nov 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. muncle6

WAW8

My guess, since you're obviously seeing something, so you have some form of video working, is that the drivers for this card are missing or old. Need to get the latest drivers for the card and install them. Then, take a look in Device Manager and see what it thinks you're using as a graphics card.

WAW8, Nov 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. muncle6

muncle6

no no no...im doing these responses from my other built computer, vista doesnt see the card at all, not even in the device manager, there was output obviously from the video card cause i could see the screen, however the card was invisible to vista...i currently have xp on the computer (the problem computer) but im gonna install vista as a virtual machine right now...

muncle6, Nov 5, 2008
  4. muncle6

WAW8

This is just getting more confusing ... You said in your first post that you had Vista Business 32-bit on the machine, but now, you say you have XP on that same machine and are thinking about installing Vista in a VM. Which is it?

Are you getting any video at all on the problem machine?

WAW8, Nov 5, 2008
  5. muncle6

muncle6

sorry to have been confusing...i now have vista business 64 installed on the problem computer, and still no luck...there is video through the card because i am posting on the computer itself...there is one problem which is kinda odd in the device manager...for one (because there are multiple listed) of the PCIStandard PCI-PCI Bridge is listed as not functioning because there werent enough free resources to use...this is a system device btw...the code listed is 'Code 12'

this seems like its the problem, but i cant seem to fix it.

thanks

muncle6

muncle6, Nov 6, 2008
  6. muncle6

WAW8

Are you running a 64-bit machine? If Vista 32-bit had driver problems with your hardware, 64-bit is only going to make the situation worse.

Do you have any items in Device Manager that show problems? If so, you will need to hunt down drivers for those devices. If there are problems in the System area, that means you need to install the chipset drivers for your motherboard. Like XP, Vista doesn't do a particularly good job of installing chipset drivers. You will have to determine the make and model of your motherboard, go to the manufacturer's site, download the chipset drivers, and install them. Until you do that, Vista is going to give you problems, regardless of the version you're using.

WAW8, Nov 6, 2008
  7. muncle6

muncle6

its a 64 bit compatible amd chip with vista 64 installed, like i said, there is one problem in the device manager, one of the 'PCI Standard PCI-PCI Bridge' says it doesnt have enough resources, but ive tried disabling other devices with no luck. in the dev manager, there isnt even a display adapter listed. bios says that video is through PCIex which is correct...

muncle6, Nov 7, 2008
  8. muncle6

WAW8

So, are you running off a video card? Or are you using onboard video?

WAW8, Nov 7, 2008
  9. muncle6

muncle6

like i said, bios reported that video is through PCIex, which would be the card, plus, monitor is plugged into the card, so definitely...

muncle6, Nov 7, 2008
  10. muncle6

WAW8

Did you ever manually install your chipset drivers? Those will include the PCI bridge drivers.

If not, as I mentioned earlier, you will need to hunt down the chipset drivers for your motherboard and install tham. It looks like Vista did an incomplete job of installing System drivers.

WAW8, Nov 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question