Vista Bootloader

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Janbuys, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Janbuys

Janbuys

I installed XP next to Vista (because Vista does not support the hard- and software I want to continue to use...). After installing XP the computer started fine. After installing Vista Bootloader next, choosing for XP results in the message that the system cannot read ntldr, giving code 0xc0000225.

Searching on that code I get the feeling that i might have to do with the fact that there is a 'hidden' partition on my HD, being used by de e-recoveryprogram of Vista.

Can anyone give me a hint how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

Jan

Janbuys, Oct 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Janbuys

Jason

Well If you installed xp over vista you are going to boot from you Vista DVD and do a startup repair, it should recognize the XP install and fix the boot manager accordingly. If that doesn't work you may just have to reinstall Vista.

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Janbuys

Janbuys

Well that's what I did: reinstall Vista, which didn't solve the problem. I use VistabootPro 3.3

The settings are as follows for xp:system bootloader: ntldr

choosing xp the loader cannot find this.

Janbuys, Oct 8, 2007
  4. Janbuys

kingofnexus

Please can you give us more details on what your boot configuration is (partitons, physical hard drives, boot order, bcd information). Its hard to know what your problem is if we don't know what set up your trying to dual boot.

kingofnexus, Oct 10, 2007
  5. Janbuys

WAW8

I'm not sure what you did, so I'm guessing -- but it looks like you installed the Vista bootloader to the XP partition -- wiping out or otherwise corrupting NTLDR. If that's the case, reinstalling Vista won't fix anything because it's XP that is damaged. You could try the following:

1) Repair XP using the XP cd. This will overwrite the Vista/XP dual boot in the MBR and you will only see XP after that.

2) Boot from the Vista DVD and repair Vista. This should overwrite the MBR again, this time with Vista boot info, but should also leave you with a boot menu that lists both XP and Vista -- and works for both as well.

WAW8, Oct 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question