Vista bootloader question

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cbh2000, May 4, 2009.

1. cbh2000

cbh2000

OK. I'm not the kind of person who EVER really asks for help. I'd rather find out myself, but I'm stumped.:hehe:

Here's the story: My mom got a PC with XP on it, then we later got and put Vista on another partition. XP is on a primary NTFS partition; it is the first partition on the HDD and is flagged as bootable. Vista is on a second partition immediately after (NTFS also). Now, I would like to know if Vista puts any needed files for boot on the first partition, and if it is safe to remove it (the partition). I'll be installing Linux soon, so its bootloader (GRUB) will be able to launch Vista's bootloader. But, do you think removing the first partition will make Vista unbootable?

As a P.S., I don't find Vista so terrible as people say...

cbh2000, May 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. cbh2000

WAW8

Yes ... Vista put its boot loader files into the XP partition. If you remove that partition, you will no longer be able to boot Vista. However, you can move those files to the Vista partition and boot from there.

WAW8, May 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. cbh2000

cbh2000

Thank you! I will look into it. :D

cbh2000, May 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question