Vista Boot up failure - Help required

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by arlowood, Mar 2, 2012.

1. arlowood

arlowood

Hi there

Just back from 2 weeks hols. PC was working fine before I left.

Tried to start up yesterday and got usual motherboard initial image followed by Windows horizontal scrolling bars that denote booting up process. However after that all I got was a blank screen with the cursor arrow.

Clicking around the the blank screen produced nothing. Pressed Ctrl/Alt/Del and got the option screen which allowed me to access the Task Manager. This showed that no applications were running but several processes were listed. These were :- nvtray.exe(Nvidia graphics), taskmgr.exe, explorer.exe, bdagent.exe(Bitdefender Virus programme),dwm.exe(Desktop Window Mgr), nvvscv.exe,nvXDSync.exe, winlogon.exe and csrss.exe.

I shut down and booted in Safe Mode and things loaded OK and I was able to access and run various programmes from the Office suite.

Looked on the Event Viewer and found an error listed associated with d:\longhorn\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp with and error code 8007043c. Is this significant and the cause of the problem?

Not sure where to go from here? Should I do a Windows Restore back to a date before the holiday or are there other diagnostic tricks I can do in Safe Mode to pinpoint the source of the problem? I've always believed that a system restore is the last action to cconsider but I am not very PC literate and don't know where to go from here.

Any help welcomed

arlowood, Mar 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. arlowood

clifford_cooley

I'm not aware of any tricks so I will vote for the restore point.

clifford_cooley, Mar 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. arlowood

arlowood

Hi Clifford

'Fraid I lost patience and went for the System Restore option and selected the date just before we went on holiday.

PC rebooted OK and everything now seems to be working again. Only problem is that the appearance of the task bar seems to have reverted to an earlier XP type format with the bar being a matt grey colour and instead of the round Windows icon as the "Start" button there is a rectangle with "Start" written in it. Also the side bar is in the same matt grey colour and is opaque rather than the former transparent appearance.

Other features have also reverted to an XP type appearance so it seems that the restore has lost me some of the enhanced graphics of the Vista package.

Any ideas on how to repair this to return it to its former look

arlowood, Mar 2, 2012
  4. arlowood

clifford_cooley

Try selecting a different theme, there could be a glitch in the current theme that needs to be restarted. Once you have changed themes, you can probably go back to the usual theme.

clifford_cooley, Mar 2, 2012
  5. arlowood

arlowood

The water gets murkier!!!

Ran a CHKDSK while things were working OK and this came up with no bad files or registry entries etc that needed repairing.

Shut down after that and then rebooted and the blank screen problem was back again. GRRRR

Did another system restore and this time the appearance came back as it should do for Vista - so everything was hunkey dorey. At the advice of my son I fired up the Command Prompt and did an:- sfc /SCANNOW run. This again came up with nothing in the way of corrupt or compromised files etc. So shut down after that and rebooted again today. Back to the blank screen - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

My son reckons that i will need to run a start up repair from a Vista software disk. Problem is i don't have one. My PC was bought from an Ebay retailer who works with an OEM installation and i was not provided with a disc for the Vista software on my machine. I have found the Product ID for the OEM version that he used but i don't know if that will be any help when using a repair disc for my machine.

Any ideas out there how i can effect a start up repair without the basic vista disc?

arlowood, Mar 3, 2012
  6. arlowood

arlowood

Think I may have identified the problem.

Over the past few months i have been having problems with my external HDD (Western Digital 320GB) which is permenantly connected to my PC via USB. I have experienced back up failures when using the Windows back up facility and have also found that the External HDD has not been recognised after boot up on quite a few occasions.

I am not entirely sure but I think the problems may have started after i bought a new keyboard which was USB wired rather than PS/2. Having tried unsuccessfully to use a PS/2 to USB adapter I gave up and plugged it into one of the rear USB ports. Due to a shortage of rear ports I ended up switching the HDD onto one of the front mounted USB ports.

Having spoken to my son he reckons that the front mounted ports may only be USB 1.1 rather than 2.0 and this may have caused connectivity and driver problems with the HDD.

Anyway last night I disconnected the HDD and rebooted the PC and all was well. Have tried again a couple of times with no repeat of the blank screen problem.

This seems to point to either the HDD itself or one of the USB port drivers being corrupted in some way that is interfering with the start up of the main Vista programme.

My choices seem to be to either
    1. Reconnect the HDD to a rear port and switch the keyboard to the front port and hope for the best.
    2. Buy a USB multiport hub so that I can expand the number of rear ports
    3 Buy a new HDD in case the old one is corrupted and does more damage to my operating system.

Any thoughts on the way to proceed?

arlowood, Mar 4, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question