Vista Beta 2 - consistent half-crashes and no access to minidump file

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Fragnetic, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Fragnetic

Fragnetic

<DIV>I have had the MSDN release of Vista Beta 2 running for a couple of weeks now, and installed the drivers successfully for all of my system components (clean device manager). The problem I have is that consistently about 5-10 minutes after reboot the signal to the monitor gets cutoff (monitor LED flashes as if monitor is waiting for signal). There is no way I have found to recover from this short of rebooting. Whats weird is that if a video is playing through media player, the sound will play out till the end with the screen off. So the processor is still doing something productive...I tried logging in to the box via remote desktop from another computer which works normally but does not after these half-crashes happen. Checked the event log after the reboot and nothing glaring in there. I do know there is a minidump file that is logged during these events but I am unable to access it. After the amount of time spent tweaking this beta I would love to have it up and running for at least a day! Any ideas would be great. Here are my system specs:</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe</DIV><DIV>P4C 2.4 Ghz</DIV><DIV>1.5 gb PC3200 DDR dual channel</DIV><DIV>ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with latest catalyst drivers from ati</DIV><DIV>onboard gigabit lan</DIV><DIV>onboard sound (soundmax)</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I really like Vista so far but its unreliable right now to do anything in for more than 10 minutes!</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>

Fragnetic, Jun 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Fragnetic

niffer022

eemmmm this is a strange one, iv not heard of this problem before......

you defo have the up to date gfx drivers yes....... try updating again see if that works, go into device manager and click on your gfx card and up date the driver....

did you get the driver from ati or have you used your instalation disc??? im rattling my brain here trying to think of something else but nothing is jumping out at me....

if you havent already visit ati's website do soand download there latest vista driver.

it sounds like a defo driver problem as rest of the computer still works, its just the moniter..

sorry i couldnt be more help but let us know if any of that is help full... :)

niffer022, Jun 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Fragnetic

Fragnetic

Niffer, thanks for the reply. I too thought it wasa video card driver...but I just went to ATI site yesterday and upon running the catalyst installer it said I had the latest driver. The thing that throws me off that lead is the remote desktop problem. If it were just a graphics driver then wouldnt I be able to connect via remote desktop as normal? or at least ping? one minute you can bing the box, the next no response. So the nic goes down along with the video. The only other information I have is that once, upon reboot, Vista said the machine crashed with reason: "bluescreen". there was no bluescreen of course, since no video but that typically points to a driver issue. Have you heard of any problems with either the 9700 pro and/or the latest catalyst drivers? Maybe I should roll with the Microsoft WDDM ones instead?

Fragnetic, Jun 17, 2006
  4. Fragnetic

niffer022

whats it like in safe mode??????? do you lose the screen in there too??

to be honest im not that clued up on the hole remote decktop thing, i couldnt even tell you if remote decktop actually works ok or not! with vista been in the beta stage still that funtion might still have bugs init..

there been lost of problems with all the gfx cards, mine works ok but its abit slower compared to when it runs in xp... ill have a look around the net for you and see if anyone else is having same problems with that gfx card..

have you tryed the microsoft wddm ones yet, if not its worth a try... :)

niffer022, Jun 17, 2006
  5. Fragnetic

niffer022

also what vista ayou running 32bit or the 64 version???

niffer022, Jun 17, 2006
  6. Fragnetic

Fragnetic

32 bit version...latest release of vista 5384 i believe. I tried the safe mode and no crash, but also limited functionality. Gonna try and uninstall all the catalyst stuff next...

Fragnetic, Jun 17, 2006
  7. Fragnetic

niffer022

niffer022, Jun 17, 2006
  8. Fragnetic

Jason

If it works fine in safemode, then its a driver issue (not that we didn't think that already lol). If your video card driver was wacked and you got a black screen, when you remote desktop to that computer and login, its still gona be a black screen that doesnt change since you are still using that computers hardware when using RDP. You can try not using ATI's drivers and using the basic onces which vista employs, if you havn't already. At this point its really hard to fix stuff like this because on both ends, ATI and Microsoft both their products (Drivers & OS) are in beta so either one could be causing the problem. My guess is that the problem lies in ATI's driver not vista. BTW what kind of card do you have?

I installed Beta 2 last night on my laptop w/ ATI mobil radeon express and it runs like crap, it ran for one day, then today when I turned it on it said I have to activate, and when I hit "activate online" it gives some error....time for a re-install.

Jason, Jun 17, 2006
  9. Fragnetic

Fragnetic

<DIV></DIV><DIV>I am leaning towards the display driver as the culprit, but what confuses me is: although the machine is still running and audio playing (with no display), I can no longer ping the box or remote to it.I am going to leave it in safemode for a while and then try and unistall and use the microsoft drivers to test. I fear though that the instability is elsewhere in the system, with another component, and without any events in the event log to guide me it is frustratingly hard to figure out. I will post back here if I find the solution, thanks all.</DIV>

Fragnetic, Jun 17, 2006
  10. Fragnetic

niffer022

before you do that mate, go into proper windows and although you only get 10min screen time that plenty enough to right click on desktop and click properties, changes screen size down a level.. see if that works.... might just be cos of the lack of driver support it wont let your gfx card run as good....

fingers as crossed for you mate........ :)

niffer022, Jun 18, 2006
  11. Fragnetic

Jason

True, you can also try changing the color mode from 256 or whatever to something lower. Definitly try the screen resolution.

Jason, Jun 18, 2006
  12. Fragnetic

quikie

i have same exact problem - radeon 9700 intel 875dbz board 3ghz 1gig dual channel ram...

i just googled and found this thead..

quikie, Jun 26, 2006
  13. Fragnetic

Simon D

I also have the sameproblem with the Vista beta?

The computer boots ok, but just before it enters the windows desktop mode the signal to the monitor gets cutoff. Monitor LED goes from green to amble as if monitoris waiting for signal. The monitor is viewsonic VP191b LCD, I am using thedigital input I have tried analog no luck.

The hard drive is still loading windows, but no signal. I can boot into safe mode OK. This is a fresh install of <SPAN id=_ctl1__ctl0_ctlTopic__ctl0_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_lblFullMessage>32 bit version of vista build 5384</SPAN>, with only the updates loaded, I have tried both theATI drivers from MS and ATI with no luck.

No problem with hardware as all works ok with XP.

Thanks

Simon

Simon D, Jul 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question