Vista Basic Reinstall [solved]

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by doeflax, Jan 24, 2008.

1. doeflax

doeflax

I had to reinstall Vista Basic on my notebook from the Manufacturers disc which came with my new laptop purchase, in order to remove a suspected virus. The original content of the system has been retained by Vista on my hard drive as "windows.old" Can I safely delete this in order to regain space, or will I lose some drivers and important operating programmes ?

doeflax, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. doeflax

WAW8

This folder is generally used as a backup area when an XP installation is "upgraded" to Vista -- because what Vista actually does is wipe the drive and install itself from scratch. It doesn't overwrite the old XP installlation; it just squirrels it away in this folder.

I would look through it first to see if there are any data files you want to keep.

To remove it, do the following:

1) Click the Start button

2) Select All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disc Cleanup

3) Select "Files from all users on this computer", accept the UAC popup

4) Select the drive that contains your windows.old folder

5) One of the options will be to delete your old installation. Select it and let the Disc Cleanup run.

WAW8, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. doeflax

doeflax

Godess, you truly are a Godess ! !

Followed your step-by-step and Hey Presto . . . . . . bags more space reclaimed !

Many Thanx

Doeflax

doeflax, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question