Vista automatically resetting my folder view options.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Drew345, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Drew345

Drew345

I have a folder (on my desktop) and when I open that folder, I want to view the files inside that folder as small icons.

So I open the folder, select View – small icons, then deselect “auto arrange”. Then I put the icons in just the order that I want them and everything is fine. I close the folder and re-open the folder, and the files are still displayed by icons and positioned just the way I want them. Great so far.

But then the next day, when I open the folder, the folder is back to displaying the icons by “Details” and the files are back in the original order. Very annoying to say the least.

The files are MP3 for some daily listening, and after I listen to one, I want to move it down to the bottom. Then the next day I listen to the MP3 on top and then move that one down to the bottom. Worked fine with XP, but now with Vista, everyday the folder gets changed back to view by Details, and the files are back in original order.

How can I keep Vista from automatically changing folder views back to Details and leave it on “Small icons (no auto arrange)”. Thanks, Drew

Any help greatly appreciated. I tried searching for the answer on the forum, but got an error that I don’t have permission to use the search function.

Drew345, Jul 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Drew345

WAW8

Vista uses folder templates to control the views.

To see the templates, right-click on a folder --> properties- -> customize.

It generally works by choosing a template type (e.g., Pictures and Videos) for a folder. Go into that folder, choose what layout you want under the View menu (e.g., Small Icons) then applying those settings to ALL folders set to use the same template by clicking Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> Apply to Folders.

Now, all the folders set to use that template wil be showing Small Icons.

You then need to repeat for each of the template types.

You may encounter problems with some folders forgetting settings or an entire template forgetting settings. There's no real fix for that.

If that happens or before you attempt to setup all the templates, you can clear ALL your current folder appearance settings by deleting the following 2 registry keys:

{HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classe­ s\Local

Settings\Software\Microsoft\Window­ s\Shell\BagMRU}

{HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classe­ s\Local

Settings\Software\Microsoft\Window­ s\Shell\Bags}

Then restart, and all your folder appearance settings will be reset to default.

WAW8, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Drew345

Drew345

Thank you very much for your help and explanation. I am learning a lot about folder views in Vista.

But something strange happened as I was following the steps.

I selected the folder with my "daily meditation" mp3s and selected properties and customize. It was set to use "Music Details" as the template for the folder.

I changed that to "Music Icons" as a template. I did this because I don't want to change the view for all of my music folders, only this one; so I figured I would customize the "music icons" template.

I applied the Music Icons template. Then opened the folder. It was set to large icons as a default. I changed that to medium icons. Then the strange thing. There was no longer an option to deselect "autoarrainge". Auto arrange had simply dissapeared! I changed the folder template back to "Music Details" like when I started. But even then there was no more option to deselect autoarrange. Even other folders on my computer now no longer have this "autoarrange" option available under the view menu. The option was there yesterday and even there just before I started doing these steps.

Any idea why the folder view menu would stop giving me the option for autoarrange or deslecting autoarrange? It seems to have done this on every folder on my computer; though I never got the the step for applying any changes to all folders.

Thanks, Drew

Drew345, Jul 16, 2008
  4. Drew345

Drew345

One more possible clue into the dissapearance of the "autoarrange" option in the Folder view menu.

Up to a few minutes ago, I am pretty sure that the Folder View menu was a "drop down" menu. It always went downwards under the "View" header.

Now, when I click on the "View" the submenu opens to the right side; and it goes both up and down; that is, it extends higher than the "view" heading, and under the "view" heading.

Now suer if that helps.

Any idea how to get back the "autoarrange" option so that I can deselect it so I can move the icon around in the folder.

Thanks, Drew

Drew345, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Drew345

Drew345

OK, I found the missing "auto arrange" option. It doesn't exist under the menu under "views" at the top of the folder. But it does come up if I right-click somewhere inside the folder.

So now I have set the template for this folder to "Music-Icons", then made small icons and unsellected auto-arrange. Next step, I think, is to save these changes to this template by "applying to all folders".

I try to follow the instructions to apply to all folders. But I cannot find the "Tool" menu.

I look under "Organize" and it is not there, nor is it under "View".

I right click in the folder and look under all submenus, but I cannot find the "Tools" menu anywhere.

Can you tell me where the "Tools" menu is so that I can "apply to all folders".

Thanks a lot, I am learning a lot. (Although a shame it takes so much knowledge just to change folder views).

Sincere Thanks, Drew

Drew345, Jul 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question