Vista audio: crackling, popping, stuttering!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by xenomorph1138, Feb 27, 2009.

1. xenomorph1138

xenomorph1138

My Vista audio has been messed up since I bought the computer. No matter what mediaplayer I use, the sound always has this intermitent crackling and popping, or maybe stuttering would be more accurate. I've been on other forums and thisseems to be a very common problem with Vista audio. I am currently using SB0350 Audigy ZS with Kx Project drivers(3rd party). Kx drivers work but still has stuttering in the audio. Creative drivers don't work. I tried YouP PAX drivers. They work but still have the stuttering. This problem is present no matter what sound card/and or driversI use. That includes the integrated Realtek sound as well. Every 15 to 30 seconds there is what sounds like popping or stuttering. Dvd audio, cd audio, steaming audio, gaming audio, even system sounds exibit this problem at times.

I never had this problem when I was using XP. I can take that same sound card from my Vista computer and put in in my XP computer and the problem does not exist. I'm no expert but that tells me it's a Vista thing. Can anyone shed some light on this?

xenomorph1138, Feb 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. xenomorph1138

WAW8

Yeah - it's a Vista thing -- called drivers!! MS completely rearchitected the sound model for Vista such that XP drivers would not work anymore. If it works under XP but not under Vista, the drvers are not functioning properly. Your only recourse is to get drivers from the card manufacturer.

If you're running with the latest drivers, it means their driver writers did a really poor job of rewriting their drivers for Vista, and there's nothing you can do other than to switch audio cards.

WAW8, Feb 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. xenomorph1138

xenomorph1138

Ok.To your knowlege, doesanyone make an audio card that actually works with Vista? I mean really works with Vista. Without the crackling and popping. Because I have an X-Fi ExtremeAudio that says right on the box, "Works With Windows Vista" and the only thing extreme about it is the crackling and popping.:hehe: I guess what I'm asking is, are their any audio cards that do not have this driver problem?

I would...I did and I was very very disappointed. Without getting too detailed. If not for the 3rd party developers doing what creative should be doing themselves there would be no working audio drivers at all for Vista. I will say that the 3rd party drivers work a hell of alot better than any drivers that"Creative" has released. Not perfect but byfar alot less popping and stuttering.

Not to get off topic but how is your Windows 7 working for you? Is that the beta?

xenomorph1138, Feb 28, 2009
  4. xenomorph1138

WAW8

To answer the Audio drivers question, I'm using the Bluegears B-enspirer, an Oxygen CMI8788 chip-based board that works fairly well.

Another board manufacturer that is VERY good is Auzentech. They make several 7.1 boards, some of which even allow you to replace the consumer opamps with commercial opamps. Be prepared to spend major buck for them, though.

The ASUS Xonar is also supposed to be a good board.

Suggest you Google for actual hands-on reviews of any board you intend to buy.

As to Windows 7, yes, it's the beta. I've been very impressed with it. Better in every respect than Vista. Am anxiously awaiting the RC supposed to be out on April 10th.

WAW8, Mar 2, 2009
  5. xenomorph1138

xenomorph1138

<SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl11_lblFullMessage>
    </SPAN>

When you say "fairly well", could you be a bit more detailed?:D

Thanks for the info. I'll google the names you gave me and see what I can come up with. As much as I like Vista, the audio issue has me seriously contemplating going back to XP for a year or so. Hopefully, given some time, companies like "Creative" will have caught up with their driver development. Thanks again for your input.

xenomorph1138, Mar 2, 2009
  6. xenomorph1138

WAW8

OK, fairly well means that I get multi-channel sound that is OK, but Bluegears has stopped development on this board, so there are going to be no more updates to the board or drivers.

This board is based off the same audio chip as some of the cheaper Auzentech board, and had I the money at the time, I would have bought the Auzentech Meridian board. But now, I see they have moved into XiFi boards as well.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question