Vista and XP networking problems, including shared printer

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by ski-nazi, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ski-nazi

ski-nazi

I checked out many forums and seen many others with the same or similar problems. I tried all the suggested solutions with no results.

I have a home network with 3 XP computers and a Vista laptop (Lenovo x60) running Vista Business. The network using both wired and wireless connections. I installed a NAS (Maxtor Shared Storage 2), and had to change the workgroup name (since the Maxtor could not handle the "@") character.

After I changed the workgroup name on all computer, the vista cannot find my shared printer, neither any of the other computers on my network. The XP machines do not see the vista either.

I have internet access from the vista, but cannot print or do backup to the NAS.

So far I tried:

disabled all firewalls, (I have the vista built in as well as the Norton Internet security),

changed the set up on the Norton to allow all in/out traffic

downloaded and installed the WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe and installed it (allow the XP to respond to vista network discovery)

Tried to add the printer to the vista as a local port "//computer name/printer name"

called IBM tech support: THEY DO NOT SUPPORT NETWORKING ISSUES !!! (if the laptop works by itself you are on your own!)

I would greatly appreciate any support, ideas!!

ski-nazi, Sep 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ski-nazi

supernerdpp

Dunno if this helps but connecting to a shared network resource via //computername/sharedresource does not seem to work with my vista to solve the problem I had to connect using the localip address eg //192.168.1.3/printer

supernerdpp, Oct 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ski-nazi

cyclic

Uninstall Norton, rerun the network setup and set the address for the printer, your problems should go away when Norton does.

cyclic, Oct 31, 2007
  4. ski-nazi

escape08

vista doesn't like sharing anything. if the printer is connected through a server, or standard computer running anything, including vista, it will say it is, and did print, bit will never print. many people i know have experienced this also. but if you are running a print server, or the printer has internal networking, then i really cant help you there.

escape08, Nov 25, 2007
  5. ski-nazi

Walker

Escape if you are not posting something constructive than please keep your opinions to yourself. I for example drag large files (about 1-7 gb) from xp computers to my vista computer with no trouble at all.

Now, are you sure you haveyour network locations set as Home?

Are all your xp computers patched to the newest and do they have UPnP enables?

Does yourmaxtor have UPnP enabled?

Have you tried justgoing to network on your vista pc and checking if your maxtor shows up?

Is your notebook on the Wireless Lan and in case do all thepcs go through one router?

If yes then have you tried connecting the laptop to the LAN and checking if you can find the printer?

If it is a wireless only issue then youmight want to fiddle around with the router settings and see if any connection from WLAN to LAN is being blocked.

Walker, Nov 26, 2007
  6. ski-nazi

Vista88

I have somewhat of the same problem. Purchased a new HP 6636nr laptop running Vista Home Premium. When I initially set this up I was able to see and connect to an HP All-in-One that I have shared through a PC running XP SP2 with all updates installed. I believe that my problems MAY have started when I installed Trend's PC-Cillin. But when I disable anti-virus I am still unable to connect. I continously get an error that the "spooler service on the server is not started. restart or reboot the server". I have done this many times with no luck. This XP system is rock solid and kept clean and up to date weekly. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Vista88, Jan 21, 2008
  7. ski-nazi

WAW8

Don't use PC-Cillin, so don't know the details, but although you say you have turned off AV, does the product enforce a firewall? That could be blocking outgoing signals even though AV is disabled.

WAW8, Jan 21, 2008
  8. ski-nazi

Jordan^Eyes

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_lblFullMessage>Dear all,</SPAN>

<SPAN>i just want to make sure that in this topic we have two problems, which are: the vista cannot find shared printer, neither any of the other computers on my network.</SPAN>

<SPAN>So far I tried all of the above with no success i still have a same problems!!!!
    </SPAN><SPAN>
    </SPAN>Ithink if we solve the second problem, the first one will be solved automatically !!!!!

I would greatly appreciate any support, ideas!! </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jordan^Eyes, Mar 13, 2008
  9. ski-nazi

WAW8

So, when you say that you have tried all of the above, do you mean:

1) Uninstalled Norton

2) Uninstalled PC-Cillin

3) Tried all of the "pinned" post suggestions about networking and connectivity?

WAW8, Mar 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question