Vista and Permission Problems

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Gerald, May 8, 2007.

1. Gerald

Gerald

Hello, first of all I'd like to say I'm glad I've found this site and I hope it will help with the problems I've encountered so far..

Also I used the search function in this forum for "permissions" and didn't find much..

Like many ppl I've switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista. I work from my home and rely on my computer for all my work / play. ....

#1... I run a database program to quote customers and keep track of customers and inventory. I can only run this program if I right click the shortcut or .exe file and "Run as Administrator". I've tried many many times to change the permissions not only on the file but the entire folder and any other files it may use. I've even changed the permissions to full access. The program itself runs fine, but again, only in "run as admin" mode. What do I have to do so I can simply run it as is.....

#2..... When I quote a product it brings up WORD just fine (running Microsoft Office '97). But when I go to email the document it just sits and spins (the cursor). I'm almost positive that it's permissions related as it's not letting the word document access windows mail.

#3.....I also , when opening a word document that's been downloaded, emailed, etc , it will actually say the file cannot be found when I know for 1,00000% it's sitting there saved to the Desktop. It will actually say "windows cannot find .xxxxxx make sure you type the name correctly, etc etc etc and try again."

I have the biggest feeling it is all permission related as certain programs cannot access files, other programs, etc and their permissions. So I guess my question is

How is one supposed to deal and / or turn off these permissions. if I can't how do we work through this? I've tried to as I've stated before to change the permissions (it's simple enough) and yet still it seems not to work. I can't even open up a work document that's been emailed to me. But with some manipulation, I CAN open the document by running as admin, changing file permissions, praying to the Gods, etc

help?

Gerald, May 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Gerald

kingofnexus

OK this isn't the best advice but it will solve most if not all the problems. My suggestion is to disable UAC. It willmake vista less secure, but still better than XP security. This will allow everything to run like it did in XP.

Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off.

Then uncheck the box and restart.

I use my computer with UAC turned off as its a constant hinderance, and it allows everything to work perfectly/

kingofnexus, May 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Gerald

Omar

Ok, Right click on the main exe. of your data base tab, then click compatability, then run as admin. U dont ave to click on that run as administrator anymore

Omar, May 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question