Vista always asks for drivers!

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by alexbilo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. alexbilo

alexbilo

Hi,

I have problem with driver installations in Vista. Whenever I plug a new peripheral, even a generic device as an USB key, an USB mouse or a keyboard, Windows doesn't find the appropriate driver. Of course it has to search for it in Windows update, it NEVER finds it, and then it asks what to do.

At this step I choose to specify the driver's emplacement on the hard drive, I point to \Windows\System32, and finally the driver gets installed!!

Any idea?

alexbilo, Feb 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. alexbilo

WAW8

Once you've installed a USB device, Vista saves the driver and should not ask for it on subsequent plugins. Is it working this way, or does Vista keep asking for drivers every time you plugin something on USB?

WAW8, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. alexbilo

alexbilo

Hi,

Once I succeed in setting up a device on a given port, it won't ask for the driver anymore.

The problem is that it never finds the drivers, even for generic devices as a mouse and a keyboard, and it doesn't recognize a device that was set up correctly on a given port if I plug it in another port.

Thanks

alexbilo, Feb 18, 2008
  4. alexbilo

WAW8

Just added some material to the pinned Troubleshooting USB drivers post about removing the CACHE file. That can get corrupted and, when it does, Vista is unable to remember which drivers it installed, so it keeps prompting for them. Try removing the file and see if that fixes the problem.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question