vista 64 vs vista 32 bit on my dell amd64x2.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by xl_cheese, Jun 4, 2007.

1. xl_cheese

xl_cheese

last month I bought a dell that came with vista 32 bit installed. I'm just wondering why they didn't install the 64 bit version? The machine has an amd 64 x2 4400+. I'm assuming the 64 means 64 bit?

Would it be worth it to install vista 64 instead? I have access to OS's through msdn.

thanks.

xl_cheese, Jun 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. xl_cheese

warlord

Go with the 64Bit since you support it, I find 64Bit Vista runs smoother and quicker....Also should you Move up to 4Gig or more of RAM you will find that Vistareally shines..I have the AMD X2 4400+ Dualcore in my Rig and its a Beast, by all means go 64Bit...I love my setup and I have had zero issues since upgrading from 32to 64Bit...

Asus A8N32 SLi, X2 4400+ Dualcore, Vista Ultimate 64Bit, 4Gig DDR, X1900XT 512Mb, XFi Extreme Music, 320Gig SATA2, 120Gig HD, 40Gig HD, 550WAtt PS, 2DVD Burners Lightscribe...

warlord, Jun 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. xl_cheese

WAW8

Not to disagree with "warlord", but taking a different perspective, the vast majority of the problems I see are with 64-bit Vista, not 32-bit. In all fairness, this is primarily because the vendors have been really slow to produce 64-bit drivers, but still, today, the maturity of the 32-bit apps and drivers excels that of the 64-bit.

I've heard rumours that MS has claimed to be moving to 64-bit only SW, but there are different versions of those rumours and some only claim that to be true for their server products. Also, while 64-bit does take advantage of 4GB of memory, for those of us NOT running brand new machines, 4GB of memory doesn't work well due to bandwidth limitations.

Yes, some of the mainstream apps do come in 64-bit versions, you can run 32-bit apps in 64-bit Vista, and there are more drivers out there today than there were 6 months ago, but still, my advice is that if you're working OK with 32-bit Vista now, stay with that and wait until after Vista SP1 comes out. Then, take a look at what's available for 64-bit and make the transition decision then.

Also, I believe that you can not UPGRADE from 32-bit to 64-bit; I believe that it requires a clean install.

WAW8, Jun 8, 2007
  4. xl_cheese

Jason

I have delt w/ x64 and x86 personally as well as other people I know, and like WAW said there are compitbility problems. Now of course any x64 OS is going to have problems running some x32 software which isn't designed for it as well as drivers. I had this problem w/ Windows XP pro x64. But Vista's higher requirments make this problem even larger. Although I have noticed that through all the Windows Updates my x64 has become much much more stable. So they are getting there.

Most of the problems lie in your hardware configuration, so it's hard to tell how your experience will be without installing it and taking a look.

In all honesty if you paid money for a x64 bit CPU then you might as well use it and deal w'/ the problem in the meantime, until SP1 comes out in a month or so. At this time in the tech world the sole noticeable advanatage to x64 is larger memory capacity, the performance/speed boost is very negligable and un-noticable.

Jason, Jun 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question