Vista 64 bit problems

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by madcatcool, Nov 6, 2008.

1. madcatcool

madcatcool

Hi, I've been trying to get a solution to this for a week. I hate Vista 64bit becuase it's not compatible with so many programs, just want to get rid of it. I want to install Vista 32 bit instead. So do I have to buy the whole new program (or can I buy an upgrade) and do a clean install or can I do a partition with Vista 32 (and again does that require the whole program or can I do an upgrade)? I find it horrifying to think I have to pay for an upgrade becuase the first program doesn't work, much less buy the whole thing fresh! Thanks for any help!

madcatcool, Nov 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. madcatcool

WAW8

Lots of questions ... let me try to answer them in some useful order ...

You can't "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit, or vice-versa. Changing from one to the other requires a complete reinstallation.

You need to understand that you did not "buy a program"; what you did was buy a "license" to use a specific version of an Operating System (OS). The license keys are specific to each version of the OS. So, if you want to use a different version than you originally purchased, you'll need a different license key -- which you'll have to pay for.

How much it costs depends on what you buy. Retail versions cost more than OEM versions. Full install versions cost more than upgrade versions. The 32-bit version costs the same as a 64-bit version. Each of the six versions of Vista also have a different price. Thus, an OEM version of Vista Home Basic is going to cost a lot less than a Retail version of Vista Ultimate.

Also, you can't "upgrade" across Vista versions with retail copies to save money, in other words, you can't buy a full retail version of Vista Home Basic and then an Upgrade version of Vista Home Premium to "upgrade" from Basic to Premium. You CAN upgrade between Vista versions using the Anytime Upgrade program, but that has to be purchased from MS or from an OEM reseller.

As to, if it doesn't work you shouldn't have to pay again to get a version that does -- the OS DOES work; it's the applications you're using that don't. If you want to complain, do so at the application vendor who told you it would work with a 64-bit OS.

WAW8, Nov 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. madcatcool

madcatcool

Yeah but Microsoft stated that 64 bit was compatible with 32 bit apps and I'm far from the only person having this problem. Had I known, I would NEVER have gotten it. THey should have been clear about it so that people who are techies and like to deal with this sort of stuff could get if they wanted, but the rest of us who just want our programs to run would know better and stay away. Not only that, but MS is so unwilling to stand behind what they sell, that to ask them what I asked you woudl have have cost me $54!

Sorry, you seem to like the product and good for you (it's people like you who forge the way for the rest of us non-techies). I'm just sick of having problems. I guess I have to buy a full version too, which I don't really intend to do, way too expensive, so I'm just stuck with a $2,000 tablet pc which does not run half my programs.

Thanks for answering anyway.

madcatcool, Nov 6, 2008
  4. madcatcool

MafiaLord91

Have you tried using compatibility mode?

MafiaLord91, Nov 6, 2008
  5. madcatcool

madcatcool

Yes, and I also tried running it as administrator.

madcatcool, Nov 6, 2008
  6. madcatcool

WAW8

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems, and having a Tablet PC makes it even worse because the improvements that MS made in Vista for the Tablet PC aren't available separately. I've got a Tablet PC that I upgraded from XP to Vista, had to add another GB of memory to get it to run halfway decent, and got so tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for it to do anything, and of hearing the fan run nearly all the time, that I took the plunge and converted it to Linux.

Yeah, I lost in the process because, unlike with Journal, there is no good handwriting recognition program in Linux, but I've been able to find good substitutes for everything else I used, and now, Open Office v3 even reads the latest MS Office files! Plus now, the CPU utilization stays down under 20% nearly all the time, I have tons of memory to spare, and the fan very rarely runs. I've even been able to figure out how to get screen rotation to work, enable the buttons on the tablet face, and found Linux apps that are a good substitute for One Note (BasKet) and accept handwriting input (Xournal).

But I still use Vista at home because I still have some key apps that, despite all the hype, won't run in Wine or Crossover -- and that is a powerful-enough machine that I can get decent performance.

WAW8, Nov 7, 2008
  7. madcatcool

VistaRocks

I'm just wondering what programs it is your trying to run that dont work? I use Vista 64bit without issues, so maybe i can help.

VistaRocks, Nov 8, 2008
  8. madcatcool

madcatcool

One is an (I think) obscure writing program (Truby) that I tried to download from their website. Also though, I want to buy CS4 and except for Photoshop, I understand they don't work with Vista 64. I really need Flash.

Is it possible to get an external hard drive and load Vista 32 on it and run programs? I'm running out options here besides just having two laptops which is beyond pointless.

Can you tell me which programs you run on your computer? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong!

madcatcool, Nov 19, 2008
  9. madcatcool

WAW8

Yes, it's possible to install Vista on an external drive -- but there are two caveats.

First, unless it's an external SATA connection (eSATA), it's going to run very slowly because you're relying on the USB connection.

Second, from what I've read about this, you must be able to boot from the external drive -- and only recent BIOS's support this.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question