Vista 32bit to 7 64bit boot problems

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Xjac0bmichaelX, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Xjac0bmichaelX

Xjac0bmichaelX

My problem started when I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit from Vista 32. and Yes I have the capability to do that. I have a 1Tb drive and a small 20Gb drive that preveiously had XP. Apparently for the longest time vista had been booting from the 20gb maxtor when it itself is stored on the 1tb hitachi. So when i went to format the maxtor vista will no longer boot. when I select to boot from the hard drive it's on (hitachi) all i get is a blinking line. I have tried the vista repair tool on the cd. I tried fixing and rebuilding the mbr, bootsect, in cmd. I also installed Linux on the maxtor to use the internet and GRUB won't even fire up vista. (it is an option in the list though) I have tried a few things on the UBCD to try to look at the partition. I tried using other third party boot managers. I CANNOT GET VISTA TO BOOT! any help? Ah yes and I can't just reinstall vista or do a clean install of 7 because I need to get sensitive info off the hitachi. Is there any way to upgrade from 32 to 64bit without losing files?

CPU-intel core duo 3.16Ghz

windows vista 32bit enterprise

Kubunto 9.04 that boots

4Gb ram DDR2

saphire 4870 1gb

500w psu

Xjac0bmichaelX, Sep 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Xjac0bmichaelX

WAW8

Basically -- no. There is no way to do an in-place upgrade (i.e., overwriting the 32-bit code with 64-bit code, leaving the apps, settings, and files intact) on any OS, as far as I know. This gets asked in the Ubuntu forums almost daily, and the answer is the same there.

WAW8, Sep 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question