Vista 32-bit Vs. Vista 64-bit

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by aspenator, Mar 6, 2007.

1. aspenator

aspenator

I just basically want to know the difference, well some of the main differences between Vista 32-bit and 64-bit. And which is better to use on a 64-bit computer...

Also I need to know whether the 32-bit Vista will be preventing my computer from running at the best it can do since it is a 64-bit machine...

If anybody can answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated :)

aspenator, Mar 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. aspenator

Jason

If you have a x64 bit cpu there is not reason to not use Vista x64. It technically is faster as accessing memory given you have a x64 bus. It is generally faster at everything given the software supports it.

Here is a good article on x64 vs. x32.

Click Here

Jason, Mar 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. aspenator

Crispy

The difference is a few nanoseconds. 64 bit CPU's run at there best performance when they are used with 64 bit OS's and applications. There is no major difference between them because 64 bit CPU's and OS's can run 32 bit applications. Also just as 32 bit CPU's are designed to run 32 bit OS's and applications, 64 bit CPUs are designed to run 64 bit OS's and applications. If you have a 64 bit CPU then you should get a 64 bit OS so you can run the CPU at its best.

Crispy, Mar 7, 2007
  4. aspenator

mathewsmt

Hello Guy

I hav a question. My laptop is HP dv5215us. this is the specification link

HP dv5215us

i will be getting windows vista ultimate shortly... so whch version should i install - 32 bit or 64 bit

thanx guys

mathewsmt, Mar 7, 2007
  5. aspenator

mathewsmt

no response

mathewsmt, Mar 11, 2007
  6. aspenator

kingofnexus

Get Vista x64 it will last you longer.

kingofnexus, Mar 12, 2007
  7. aspenator

cajuncomputers

Question for the forum:

I am building a computer that will use the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 ghz. Should I install Vista Ultimate 64 bit or 32 bit? I am concerned about compatibility issues that I may encounter with the 64 bit. Should I be concerned? Or Should I just go with the 32 bit version.

Thanks for the help

Cajun

cajuncomputers, Mar 21, 2007
  8. aspenator

Titch

I have used both and ended up with 32bit purely because of hardware compatibility.

64bit requires you have signed drivers(there is no "are you sure you won to do this"). There are ways around it but it kinda defeats the object. Vista 64 bit is more secure than 32bit in part because of the "driver signing enforcement"but to get around the driver signing you have to switch of this enforcement everytime you boot up the machine which in turns makes it less secure again. There are other features which also make it more secure.

If you you are building a new machine and you have the patients to source the parts then build one with all the components that have "Vista" 64bit drivers. If you are installing it on a machine you already have make sure you can get the Vista 64bit drivers. If you can't do this then it is questionable as to weather 64bit is right for you and your machine.

note: one piece of hardware that I have found to be the slowest at taking up the vista 64bit drivers is Wireless network cards, they are around, Linksys do one but it is a high end model costing around 60GBP and I am sure there are others, but there are no unified drivers like you get for Graphics cards which means it is hit and miss.

One last point, it isn't just hardware there is sertain software such as Adobe Acrobat that doesn't support 64bit yet. so just check that your software is also compatible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you ask me a question and I dont know the answer, I'm gonna tell you that I don't know! But I know how to find the answer and I will find the answer! -: WillSmith - The Pusuit of Happiness.

Titch, Apr 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question