vista 32 & 64 bit on same hard drive??

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ofranko, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ofranko

ofranko

i've ordered a new laptop. it comes w/vista 64.. i did not realize that would lead to software compatibility issues.

so,

can i put both 32 &64 bit on same hard drive?

if (yes) how?

(no) any suggestions?

ty,

frank

ofranko, Feb 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. ofranko

WAW8

As far as I know, you CAN run two Vistas on the same drive -- but are you sure you know what this will mean?

First off, you will have to shrink your existing partition to make room for the other Vista.

Second, you will have to install the second Vista into the unused space -- this will be a completely new installation and will share NOTHING with your first installation.

Third, you will have to install ALL your apps again in the second Vista. They will share no setting or files with the first installation.

If you thought you could have two Vistas on the same box and share apps or files, you were mistaken.

If you really don't want 64-bit on your box, contact the PC vendor. They might be willing to do a 32-bit install for a modest fee -- could be a lot less than what it will cost you to buy a 32-bit version yourself. Plus, when done, you will still have a warranty on the PC. Doing this yourself voids any warranty.

WAW8, Mar 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question