View folder contents menu causes Server Busy...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Raconteur, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Raconteur

Raconteur

Hi all,

I am not sure what is going on, but I think it may be an over-aggressive registry cleaner.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 and every time I get an open file dialog box, and try to open the menu at the top of it to select the way I want to view the folder contents (List, Details, Thumbnails, etc.) the button stays depressed and after a few seconds I get the Server Busy... Switch To | Retry | Cancel... dialog. The Cancel button is always grayed out. The list always comes up eventually, after several hundred Retry clicks...

If I do not move the mouse I do not get the Server Busy dialog, but it takes 30-45 seconds for the list to appear. After that everything works fine.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ @ 2.6GHz with 3GB RAM and an nVidia GTS8600.

ANY insights greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Raconteur, Sep 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Raconteur

WAW8

One of the really silly limitations of Vista is that it tries to force you into viewing the contents of a folder depending on the types of files contained there. This means that, if you have any files that might generate thumbnails by default, every time you open the folder, Vista is going to attempt to scan the files to regenerate the thumbnails -- even if you have the default view set to something else.

There appears to be no way to force Vista NOT to do this scan -- other than moving all the thumbnail-related files into different folders.

But, your specs indicate a more-than-adequate machine for Vista use, so if you're getting slowdowns on a routine basis, I'd do a defrag and a virus scan.

WAW8, Sep 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Raconteur

Raconteur

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is not fragmentation or machine power. Everything worked just fine before using Uniblue's Registry Booster 2. After it did its cleansing, my user profile was trashed and a bunch of other things. I did a restore, but this was the one thing that remained trashed.

I am sure it has something to do with the registry. I was hoping someone knew which keys in the registry these values were pulled from so I could go in and check them out to see what condition they are in. The weird thing is, the menu does appear, and it is correct. It just takes an inordinately long time.

Cheers,

Chris

Raconteur, Sep 8, 2008
  4. Raconteur

WAW8

Unfortunately, we've seen quite a few problems with folks using various registry cleaner tools -- and then ending up with a trashed system.

Of course, the tool suppliers don't include the following in big red letters: "WARNING: Use of this product could lead to total destruction of your computer", and even if they did, you can bet that the licensing terms release them from all damage liability resulting from the user of their product.

This is another area where, instead of spending megabucks to hire celebrities to "plug" Vista, MS would serve us better by enhancing their product to add features like one-click-registry-backup-and-restore. Yeah, I know you can do that with third-party products, but the typical computer user isn't aware of those products or the risk they take using registry cleaning products.

You could try restoring system files using "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt and the Vista DVD -- but I would not be surprised if that didn't fix the problem.

The only full solution would be a clean reinstall -- but that's a drastic move.

WAW8, Sep 9, 2008
  5. Raconteur

scifo

I have the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it started after running Uniblue's Registry Booster 2. The "server busy" appears when I'm starting my Samsung PC Studio software. Would be great to come up with a solution. Please let me know. Thanx alot.

scifo, Oct 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question