Video Problems with Vista Home P

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by MrMagic, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic

I have recently upgraded my HP Pavilion, mod# A1140N to Vista HP. I upgraded the stock 250w ps to a 650w antec and that works great. Went up to 2gb ram and 2gb readyboost.

I installed a new Diamond MM x1300PCI256 video (Radeon) since HP was to cheap to put the 50 cent connector on the mobo for PCI Express.

The CPU is 3.0gh Hyperthread and runs VHP really well.

Problem I am having is with the video card. Using the drivers that came with the Vista DVD, the card runs pretty well in Aero, at least acceptably.

However, when I install the any version so far of the ATI Catalyst drivers, Aero really gets nasty slow and jerky. Every screen kind pauses 2-3 times as it loads, which it does not do with stock Vista driver.

3D Flip works normally with the stock driver but with Catalyst drivers loaded it takes 2-3 seconds for a 'flip' to occur and when I release to bring a screen to front, it might take as much as 3 seconds. Going back to the stock driver makes everything go back to normal.

I have reported this to both ATI and Diamond and their response has been pretty much 'DUH' it can't be our drivers.

Anybody seen anything like this and/or have any idea what might be going on? Otherwise the machine runs VHP just great and I'm totally happy with it as long as the stock drivers are in place, but, I won't be able to run the new Multimedia Center (ATI) I'm sure when the finally get it out. I also have an ATI all in wonder Elite TV card in the machine which works just fine on any set of drivers.

Any advise or suggestions appreciated.

Steve

MrMagic, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. MrMagic

kingofnexus

Very odd... Just out of curiosity do you have another computer monitor to hook it up to? Try installing the drivers and see if the other monitor does this.

I ask because my monitor works with DVI input, in safe mode and on stock ms drivers, but the moment I install any catalyst I get a blank screen. Different but slightly simaler to your problem.

kingofnexus, Jul 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. MrMagic

MrMagic

Yes, I do have several other monitors I could try it with, never thought about trying it though. I currently have a flat screen 19" samsung LCD Syncmaster 930b on it running in analogue mode but I can certainly try a different monitor. ATI's suggestion was to put the card in a different PCI slot.

Steve

MrMagic, Jul 24, 2007
  4. MrMagic

Jason

I'd just stick with the stock drivers then.

Jason, Jul 24, 2007
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic

Thats what I'll have to do, until such time as the driver gets updated through autoupdate! <G>

Steve

MrMagic, Jul 24, 2007
  6. MrMagic

WAW8

That's really wierd!!

Have you tried downloading only the video drivers (without the catalyst control center) and just installing them? I had lots of problems with older versions of CCC, even up through the 7.Ns, but the recent version is trouble-free.

WAW8, Jul 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question