Video driver keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by MafiaLord91, Sep 8, 2008.

1. MafiaLord91

MafiaLord91

My Ati Radeon 3870HD driver keeps crashing. This problem started within the past month-month and a half and I was wondering if anyone was having similar issues with Ati drivers. If not then the card might be going.

MafiaLord91, Sep 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. MafiaLord91

WAW8

Sorry, I haven't noticed any problems with my ATI cards, but then, I don't have an "HD" ATI card, just plain old "SD". I've been using Catalyst drivers since before Vista and the only serious problems I've seen reported had to do with either gaming or overclocking -- both of which tended to stress the GPU and on-card memory.

You could try overclocking the GPU through Catalyst to see if that forces it to crash. It's been a while since I used Catalyst to do this, but I seem to recall it also provided the ability to monitor GPU temps.

If you were running a different OS (i.er., Linux), I would suggest you try the open source drivers instead of the restricted ones to see if it's strictly a driver-related problem. Burt with Vista, I think your only option would be to uninstall the AMD/ATI drivers and just use the generic ones. AMD has been coming out with a Catalyst version monthly.

Also, if you're interested in the really deep-down technical details about ATI cards and their related problems, suggest you check out the Phoronix forums. Some folks there have been able to do a lot of debugging to isolate ATI-related problems and solutions.

WAW8, Sep 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question