Video Capture / DVD Need advice

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by billrigsby, Nov 6, 2011.

1. billrigsby

billrigsby

My wife has some stuff recorded on our DVR and wants it made into a DVD.
    I can not hook the DVR up to the PC, it's old and has no usb connectivity.

I guess I need a video capture card?
    Hook up the video and audio from the DVR to that?
    Then use windows movie Maker or Roxio to create/burn a DVD?

Is this correct, all new to me, what card is recommended, other advice?

Thanks, Bill

billrigsby, Nov 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. billrigsby

clifford_cooley

Yes you are correct.

Something like the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD is what you are looking for.

Roxio Easy VHS to DVD:

Other USB capture devices form newegg

clifford_cooley, Nov 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. billrigsby

billrigsby

I tried a USB device, and ya you can import, ya you can watch it on the computer, ya you can edit it, but burn a dvd and it won't play in all 3 players I have. Tried Windows Movie Maker and Roxio. That device brought the video in as mpeg.

What file type is used to burn a DVD, I know when copying them you create an ISO Image that is burned to the DVD?

billrigsby, Nov 7, 2011
  4. billrigsby

clifford_cooley

Creating DVD's that are not readable in all players is a known issue. Chances are you will never create a DVD that is readable in all players. You may get lucky and get them to read in the three players you have and then find you have a relative that can't play the DVD.

There is no specific format as all media files will need to be converted to DVD format as it is being written.

Another issue is media, different media will act differently in different players. Don't ask what the differences are, it's just an observation of my own.

--------------------------------------------
    Please note, I'm not suggesting this as a solution. The software I use is Nero Multimedia Suite 10 (version 11 is now available).

clifford_cooley, Nov 7, 2011
  5. billrigsby

billrigsby

Creating DVD's that are not readable in all players is a known issue. Chances are you will never create a DVD that is readable in all players. You may get lucky and get them to read in the three players you have and then find you have a relative that can't play the DVD.

Well that just sucks!
    Does not seem that it should be this difficult.
    I guess there is a difference in PC DVDs and Home DVDs?

Bill

billrigsby, Nov 8, 2011
  6. billrigsby

billrigsby

Git it fixed.........

You need to convert to standard DVD video. mpeg is the old standard used in VCD video. The standard DVDs you buy in the store are mpeg2. Try this program:

DVD Flick

It's pretty easy to use. Drag & drop enough video files for about 2 hours worth of video and set it to output a VIDEO_TS folder. Use a software player like VLC to play the video. Move the slider around to make sure it looks ok. Check the run time of each title to make sure it's as expected. Then burn to a DVD5. It should play on any standard DVD as long as the audio is standard. The audio is probably saved as an mp2 or mp3 audio stream depending on how old the DVR is. Either mp2 or ac3 is fine for standard DVD.

You can use Media Info to see how the video and audio tracks are encoded. Just drag and drop the video file onto Media Info:
    MediaInfo

DVD Flick also has a menu creation tool that's easy to do. It pops up a simple menu to select the title you wish to play. It's also a good idea to have a box of 5 erasable discs for test burns. It can be frustrating to burn coasters. If you have an erasable you can burn, watch, burn, watch, until you get the hang of it. Once you have the whole process down then you can dispense with the test burns.

mpeg1 isn't that great a quality. For future reference you may want to get a recording mechanism that can capture in xvid or mp4. mp4 has very high quality for low bit rate.

Burned 2 DVDs and they play on all 3 Machines, WooHoo!

billrigsby, Nov 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question