Very, very slow Networking with Vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by indie1982, Aug 9, 2006.

1. indie1982

indie1982

Hi everyone, I'm running build 5384 on a Dell Precision 370 and a Precision 380. I've tried 64 and 32bit versions but I keep having the following problem:

Basically I can access the internet but very, very slowly. Most pages just time out.

The machines both have Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit NIC's connected to Dell Powerconnect Gigabit switches. I've tried Manual IP config and DHCP but I can't get a reasonable speed through via ethernet!

There's nothing wrong with the network, I've got hundreds of XP 32bit and x64 clients connected to the same network and they can all access the Internet fine.

I can ping other clients on the netowork from the Vista machines and I get <1ms Ping times, there's nothing wrong with DNS or gateways etc. I just have a feeling this is a NIC or software issue. I've got no other NIC's a can try with the machines either.

It's not a problem with our ISP as the slow ethernet connection is also happening whilst trying to transfer files internally across the network. I've tried changing port on the switch, i've even tried another manufacturer's switch which didn't help! I've replaced network cables also.

I can't even get either of the machines to connect to Windows Update, it just times out!

Any ideas anyone?

indie1982, Aug 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. indie1982

Jason

are you sure the dns's for that machine are not pointing somewhere wierd? That would cause a long hangup while they try to resolve. Have you tried going to a website by just the ip not the .com?

Jason, Aug 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. indie1982

nimbus93

hi,

having exactly same troubles on DELL Precision 380 with Broadcom NetXtrem 57xx, but i don't think there is a trouble with this NIC.

Have tried with IntelPro100/1000 and with NEtGear NIC and With Realtek NIC: same thing

No troubles with www.google.comor www.lives.comor intranet

others web site download are about 800 bytes/sec !?!

Same thing with direct IP of web site !

I had this troubles on Beta2 and now on RC1.

Help please

nimbus93, Sep 19, 2006
  4. indie1982

theminhb

Same here. I'm on a new HP pc, a week old. I did do a nvidia network driver update but I am not certain of any change in performance. The pic maxed around 66%, unusually high. Most of the time its much much lower. Also performance when connecting to my netdrive is so incredibly slow compared to the XP pc next to this one. It takes Vista a long time to index up before I can actually do anything with files. Sort of hangs until its fully indexed.

[​IMG]

Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
    HP-Pavilion a1730n
    System Model RK574AA-ABA a1730n
    System Type X86-based PC
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2600 Mhz
    Mobo: AUSUTek Model NODUSM3
    Chipset: GeForce 6150 / nForce 410/430 MCP
    Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.04, 12/15/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Physical Memory 2GB
    Driver c:\windows\system32\driversvm60x32.sys (6.2.0.126)

theminhb, Feb 10, 2007
  5. indie1982

falkirk18

Same Problem! I have a Inspirion E1550 with an Intel 3945ABG internal card. I can log onto my University's wireless network, have a great connection, but can only access google.com. Searches run fine, but cannot access any outside website! And I've had no problems accessing the internet on my home wireless network!

falkirk18, Feb 14, 2007
  6. indie1982

Jason

Have you guys tried changing your network status to "private" from public and turning off windows firewall?

Jason, Feb 14, 2007
  7. indie1982

falkirk18

Windows firewall is off. Also disabled all other saftey software. Tried you suggestion as far as making the network private, but same problem. I've found several articles stating a problem that Vista has had since Beta versions were released in regards to the new TCP/IP stack communicating withwireless routers. Here is a little of what I've found:

"The culprit is the built-in firewall software on the DI-724U router, which features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). This is not the only router in the SOHO market that features SPI - Netgear's WGR614 and Linksys' WRT54GS are among dozens of products that offer similar capabilities. Trouble is, the new and improved TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista falls apart when it encounters an SPI-enabled router.

One workaround is to disable SPI on the router. That significantly weakens a key layer of network security, but it allows Internet traffic to get through. Unfortunately, the D-Link DI-724U, like several other products in the same family, doesn't allow SPI to be disabled" <SPAN class=edited-wording></SPAN>

Now, I can't exactly ask the University to upgrade thier router's firmware, and they won't turn the firewalls off. So, that leaves microsoft to fix a problem they've know about for months and have decided to do nothing about. Guess we can just keep waiting!

Matt

falkirk18, Feb 14, 2007
  8. indie1982

99hamiltonl

I am having the same problem with a dell inspiron laptop, access to a local network is very good, the network is set to private, I also have the Broadcom network, and I have the same problem.

I can transfer many files over the network, other computers are running fine (all of which are on XP, some wireless others not). All the other computers laptops and desktops have very good internet access, my vista laptop doesn't.

All firewalls were also turned off to make sure they were not causing a problem, and there was no difference.

I can't understand why its not working as only the internet is effected on the only vista computer.

99hamiltonl, Feb 14, 2007
  9. indie1982

Lhotse

Im having the same problem!

I have tried everything. Disabled the firewall, changed from pirvate to public, removed uneccessary stuff from the network connection so I only use IP v.4 (with netbios disabled), etc...

Iv got a brand new Asus FT3 laptop and plug it in directly to my cable modem (with no routers or firewalls between) and get a maximumof 20-40 kbit/s. Then plug in my old laptop(WinXP, with the same networkcable directly to the cablemodem) and guess what, I get &gt; 8mbit/s

This must be something wrongin Vista!

Have anynone found asolution??

Lhotse, Mar 17, 2007
  10. indie1982

Lhotse

a little update...

Today I reinstalled windows twice. The first time I reinstalled with the Windows CD. No repair or upgrade. Just a new installataion of Vista Ultimate into a new partition. During the installation I let windows download everything it needed from Windows Update. When the installation was finnish I run Windows Update again and got the rest of the patches andsome ofthe extras to Windows Ultimate. The result= Same problem!!

Second time I run the recovery cd from Asus with the network cabel unpluged (so that Windows wouldnt download any updates). Now I got a new clean installation of Vista Home Premium. I have just plugged in the network cable and run the speedtest, guess what? The problem is GONE. I now get 2,44 MB/s

Btw, this is the speedtest i run: http://speedtest.bahnhof.se/(download the 100mb file).

Lhotse, Mar 17, 2007
  11. indie1982

t2sa

Hi,

I have the same pbl: my internet connection (ethernet and wireless) works perfectly with my laptop (XP Pro) but is very very slow with my new Dell desktop (Vista Premium), would it be with Firefox or Explorer (as a matter of fact, it worked fine first and got slower each day). In many forums, I read that it could be usefull to disactivate AutoTuning but it didn't work for me. I also disactivated Windows' Firewall without success.

If any one can help me...

Many thanks in advance,

Timothee

Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc

System Model Dimension C521

System Type X86-based PC

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc 1.1.4, 09/12/2006

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.20500 "

Total Physical Memory 2 045,88 MB

Available Physical Memory 1,17 GB

Total Virtual Memory 4,21 GB

Available Virtual Memory 3,02 GB

Page File Space 2,29 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

t2sa, Apr 1, 2007
  12. indie1982

Tom Tucker

Hello Everyone,

This is very basic but has anyone tried turning off the Phishing filter if you are running IE 7.0 to see if that makes any difference? Is the problem happening if you try firefox?

Tom Tucker, Apr 1, 2007
  13. indie1982

t2sa

It doesn't work neither with Firefox or with Skype, for instance.

t2sa, Apr 4, 2007
  14. indie1982

NorthAveAlum

I'm having the same set of problems on an Acer Travelmate 8204 with Vista Ultimate, Intel Pro/1000 PM Network Connection (wired) and my Intel wireless card. The signal strength on my wireless connection is "good" with me sitting 5 feet from my Bountiful wireless router. My kidsare 1-2 floors from the router and they get "excellent" to "very good" signal strength on their Windows XP machines.

In addition, I cannot get vista to update the Intel Pro/1000 network connection driver to the latest version. Vista comes back telling me that I have the latest driver - when, clearly, there is a latest version on Intel. Download it, vista won't update the driver.

Any help?

NorthAveAlum, Apr 5, 2007
  15. indie1982

Lexxon

Same deal at my college. Can get to google and very small parts of cached webmail sites for my work, but it logs in and then simply hangs.

I've turned off IPv6, changed from public to private and back and forth, the one thing I didn't get to try at the college itself was the power-saving feature on the wireless card, found in advanced power settings, although I think it was half the time on the correct setting, and still not finding anything.

If there is any distinct workaround for these issues that doesn't involve the college lifting the firewall...it would be nice, eh? There isn't a way to disable all the 'new improved' crap Vista does to networking?

Lexxon, Apr 10, 2007
  16. indie1982

Walker

Nortavealum: Might want to uncheck the "use microsoft update(or something like that" box in the updater. This is due to a little bug that has appeared with the releases which for some reason creates trouble with full listing of updates.

As for the wi-fi problem soz but can't help there as i hate wi-fi

Walker, Apr 11, 2007
  17. indie1982

drmom5

I am not able to get a new driver for my Intel PRO/100 VE (onboard Gigabyte 8I865GME-775RH). It connects to the internet fine but I have no INTRAnet in my house. I am sure it's missing a protocol for Vista 64. I have disabled TCP6.

drmom5, May 13, 2007
  18. indie1982

wichers

I am having the same type of problem that a number of others have indicated. I have a brand new Dell with Vista Home Premium and the machine itself is very fast but internet access if VERY VERY slow. I am accessing the internet from home through Comcast and have a LinkSys CableModem and then a LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router (BEFSR41 V3) with the latest firmware (1.05 from 2005).

I have Windows laptop on the same network using Windows XP SP2 and its internet access if very fast (its the computer I'm using now). However, the Vista machine is very very slow on the same network setup. Thus, it is PRETTY CLEAR that there is some problem with Vista itself.

Is Microsoft going to start researching whether there are incompatibilities between the new TCP/IP stack and common routing technologies? One posting previous stated: "<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Trouble is, the new and improved TCP/IP stack in Windows Vista falls apart when it encounters an SPI-enabled router."</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I don't know if that is the problem or not, but it seemed like the internet access speeds were fairly normal when I first got the machine and they have been degrading over time. I would have noticed that it was really slow right away when I first got it, but that wasn't the case. However, we have had the machine for a month now and only started to notice the slowdown in the last few weeks. (Its my wife's not mine, so I don't use it every day). Someone else posted: "<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">I got a new clean installation of Vista Home Premium. I have just plugged in the network cable and run the speedtest, guess what? The problem is GONE." So, someone with Vista from the factory with no patches installed has fast internet access, but when they install all the available patches, the problem occurs. So was the problem introduced by one of the patches?</SPAN></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Can someone from Microsoft give us some advice here or let us know if they are looking into this or these issues?</SPAN></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-ascii-theme-font:

wichers, May 23, 2007
  19. indie1982

jdplus3

I have the slow networking responses using a new Dell D420 Laptop in a wireless office LAN accessing a local SQL Server on a 2003 R2 Server. My XP machines are snappy pulling up data and printing over the wlan. This machine, after my free Vista upgrade, pauses for a few seconds before retrieving a record from the server, and may take 10 seconds before pulling up the print dialogue box. I too suspect that a clean install might be the answer.

jdplus3, Jun 8, 2007
  20. indie1982

jdplus3

I would add that when physically plugged in to the LAN, the speed seems to be comparable to other machines as far as data access, but there is still a long lag for bringing up the print dialogue box

jdplus3, Jun 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question