Vedio card upgrade

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by system001, Jan 28, 2009.

1. system001

system001

I am looking to upgrade my current video card to either the MSI MSI N9500GT MD512 D3 GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 or ASUS EN9500GT TOP/DI/512M GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16.

I have a EVGA 8800GTS 640MB Dual DVI right now. I want to be able to pull this and give it to my roommate. He seems to be having problems with his card that is not software related, and the cheapest solution I could come up with was just to upgrade myself and then give him my current card. He is currently running a EVGA 8800GTS 340MB Dual DVI card. So it would be a slight upgrade. What I would like to know is I order either of the two cards and a HDMI to DVI cable am I going to have to do anything special as far as setup? My monitor is Sceptre 22" with DVI in. Any input would be great.;)

system001, Jan 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. system001

WAW8

Not an expert on high-end video, but since no one else has responded, I'll give you my 2-cents ...

Either card should work fine, presuming they come with Vista drivers (which they should).

My only concern is about the DVI-HDMI cable. If you're planning on driving a LCD TV through an HDMI connection, that could be a problem as their resolutions don't match standard PC resolutions. I believe that Vista does provide a way to address that in the personalization options, but as I use only a standard LCD wide screen monitor, I don't know.

WAW8, Jan 29, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question