Using Vista's Speech Recognition

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jason, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Windows Vista Speech Recognition Step by Step Guide

Windows Vista™'s speech recognition is state of the art. Using speech recognition in the operating system, you can dictate emails and documents, and use your voice to control your favorite programs and navigate Web sites. Windows Vista Speech Recognition enables you to create documents quickly, and helps you to work with reduced risk of repetitive stress injuries. The Windows Vista speech recognition experience has an innovative design that places you in control and enables you to become proficient at using speech recognition faster than ever before.

What is Speech Recognition

Speech Recognition technology allows you to control your computer by speaking. When you talk, the software will intelligently decide whether to convert your voice into text such as to allow you to dictate documents and e-mails, or whether you have given a command that requires it to take an action.

What’s new in Windows Vista Speech Recognition?

Windows Vista Speech Recognition focuses not only on providing world class accuracy, but on providing the most usable end-to-end speech recognition experience. It addresses key issues that currently frustrate or confuse users of existing products. Windows Vista Speech Recognition provides an efficient, enjoyable way to get your tasks done with speech, including:

•A reduced learning curve, with a focus on making the system "just work."

•Redesigned user interfaces provide a simple but efficient experience so you can dictate and edit text, and correct any mistakes.

•An interactive tutorial that teaches you how to use Speech Recognition while the computer learns your voice.

•Significant improvements to accuracy with speech technology that learns as you use it.

•Control of your computer with new interfaces that let you use applications in a way that places you in control.

•Improved clarification and interpretation. When you give a command that can be interpreted multiple ways, the system will prompt you to clarify what you meant to do.

Checkout: Microsoft's tutorial for more info

Jason, Apr 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

aylesmerep

Hmm. I have a problem. I cannot get Vista's Voice recognition to work because when I try to set it up, I get a dialogboxthat says that "The Wizard could not start" - it thensuggests to make sure that my audio hardware is working correctly. I did that - in the "audio device screen"my USB headset appears to work fine (bar graphs show mike input and speaker output OK) -there are no problems in Device Manager - Windows sound recorder records and plays back - no problem playing MPGs, MP3's whatsoever. I searched for and installedall the latest drivers, I upgraded my BIOS to the latest non beta version. In setup, I changed the HD audio device settings to Vista. I have run out of things to try! Any suggestions?

Nick

System Vista 64 bit premium; ASUS MOBO P5WH deluxe; 2Gb RAM; Core 2 Duo E6300; headset USB Andrea NC-61; system language UK English

aylesmerep, May 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

aylesmerep

I found the solution. One has to start another user account, make it the administrator, then voice recon works... Somehoweven though I was the only user (and was the administrator) theprogramme was blocked somehow.Or reinstall Vista...

aylesmerep, May 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question