Using side of touchpad as scrollbar?

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by pikachi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. pikachi

pikachi

I'd like to use the side of my laptop's mousepad as a scrollbar like you get on some computers. It doesn't actually have a scrollbar, but Ubuntu uses the right hand side as a scrollbar, so it should be possible. Are there any programs or registry tweaks or something that allows me to do this?

Thanks, Pikachi

pikachi, Feb 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. pikachi

WAW8

As you may already know, Ubuntu uses Linux drivers -- which are very different from MS Windows drivers. The driver in question would most probably be the Wacom Serial Pen Tablet -- but the version is specific to the touchpad on the laptop.

Best place to check would be with your laptop manufacturer to see if they have new Wacom touchpad drivers for Windows Vista. If they don't, there's nothing you will be able to do as this is driver-specific.

WAW8, Feb 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. pikachi

Lorien

Hi pikachi,

We can possible help you more if you provide more information about what exactly you have. I will look to see what I can find.

What versions of Vista do you have (e.g., 32-bit Vista Business or 64-bit Vista Ultimate)?

What is the manufacturer, make, and precise and complete model of your laptop?

What is the manufacturer, make, and precise and complete model of your touchpad?

For SOME computers, there are available drivers that will enable this feature (some are current drivers and some are older drivers that had the feature but were discontinued by the manufacturer yet are still available and may work in some cases). Many OEM laptops do not come with Vista drivers that permit this and they aren't available even from the manufacturers (even though the touchpad is physically capable of doing it as seems to be the case with yours if it works with Ubuntu).

If you want assistance finding drivers (if any are available), then we need this information to do a proper search for you. Without it, you must search on your own. I just read an article on doing it for Synaptics touchpads from My Digital Life called "Enable Multi-Touch Gesture (Finger Scroll, Momentum and ChiralMotion) on Synaptics TouchPad in Windows 7/Vista/XP/Server".

The choice is yours. If you repost with the requested information, I will do my best to help you find appropriate drivers if any are available.

Good luck and best wishes!

Lorien, Feb 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question