Users Can't Login Properly

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Alejandrosv, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

Hello, i have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

When i try to start it, i get to the logon screen and when i choose a user it starts to load it. Then it goes to a black screen, no wallpaper, no taskbar, and a "Documents" window loads, and that's all it loads.

If i do a Ctrl+Alt+Del, i get the regular screen when i can open the task manager. There, i can only see processes for "Local Service", "Network Service" and "System" but non for my user (the "Show processes from all users" checkbox is activated).

I noticed that there was not a "explorer.exe" task so i went to FILE, NEW TASK(Run) and typed in explorer.exe and hit enter, and then it loads everything and i can use windows normally. (When i checked my task manager "explorer.exe" is now open for my user).

This happens for every user, the existing ones or new ones that i created. I have run Norton and doesn't detect anything funny. tried windows restorebut when it reboots the computer i get an error that something didn't allow the computer to run properly.

Any ideas on other things i could do to repair it?

Alejandrosv, Jan 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Alejandrosv

bcoop

If running explorer.exe fixed your problem then it may have to be added to the startup menu if it does not start up normally. I don;t really know why if it could not be on that list.

In Vista this is found under Start>Control Panel>Programs section (of new view)>Change Startup Programs

I don't know if XP has a built-in startup manager.

bcoop, Jan 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

i have windows vista home basic. thanks i'll try that.

EDIT: I can't find the option you talk about... is there other way to access?

Alejandrosv, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Alejandrosv

WAW8

WAW8, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

Thanks. I'll try that

Alejandrosv, Jan 17, 2008
  6. Alejandrosv

dima1978

Have you found the fix yet? I am getting the same problem, thanks

dima1978, Feb 12, 2008