User folder name not matching actual user name

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cards1007, Apr 5, 2007.

1. cards1007

cards1007

I have a computer running Vista that has a folder called "C:\Users\First Lst" even though the actual username is "First Last". I assume the username was typed incorrectly when the system was set up, and then the user account name was changed so it would be correct.

Whatever the cause...does anyone know how I can get the folder to show the correct name? (I realize I could just rename it, but I assume there are settings telling programs to store files there, and I don't want to cause a new problem with that.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

cards1007, Apr 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cards1007

WAW8

Try going into Control Panel --> User Accounts, and changing the user name there. That's where it probably got the name for the folder in the first place.

WAW8, Apr 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. cards1007

cards1007

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that already, and the username is correct in the User Accounts area.

Any other suggestions?

cards1007, Apr 9, 2007
  4. cards1007

Titch

Have tried creating a new folder in the user directory with the correct name and relcoating(right click documents --> Location)all the folders such Documents Music etc into the new folder. This is obviously only a solution if you can move all the folders for that user(not sure if you can relocate App Data etc) and I ain't at my own machine to try thisand confirm.

The other option is to possible create a new account with the correct name and migrate all date to new account.

Titch, Apr 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question