USER ACCOUNT CONTROL HELP PLZ.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Nooney, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Nooney

Nooney

Hi I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so I'm sorry if I'm doing anything wrong.

My problem is this:

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser a short while ago and it was working fine. But then my Vista automatically updated and I think that was where the problem started. I think in the update it heightened the security on my computer, not necessarily a bad thing but annoying because every time I launch Firefox it has to ask my permission to continue. I think this is because it is trying to access the internet and is not microsoft software. I have looked it up in windows help and have a slight suspicion that it might be to do with something called "user account control". It helps stop unauthorized changes to your computer.

Is there any way to convince it that Firefox isn't harmful and make an exception for it?

I'm on Vista Home Premium, If it helps.

Thanks for any help provided,:)

Nooney

Nooney, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Nooney

cyclic

Just turn UAC off, most people do to prevent (there's no other way) those ubiquitous messages from appearing.

In the RUN line type msconfig and press enter, from the panel that comes up select 'tools' from the rightmost top tab, scroll down until you see 'disable UAC' tick it apply it leave msconfig, you need a reboot for it to take effect.

UAC messages all gone now, I wouldn't offer this advice if I thought you were at any particular risk from disabling UAC, you're not, if you have the Firewall on and a decent up to date virus scanner running and with the help of the ever present 'defender' you are just about as protected as you need be, nobody is going to be fool enough (not me anyway) to guarantee you'll never geta 'nasty' at some time but in truth you are more likely to stay protected by following 'good policy' than you are with any number of programs using your resources, you know the sort of thing, don't visit 'iffy websites offering illicit material or 'images' of a certain type and don't go opening email attachements without first scanning then with anti virus software, even if they do appear to be from someone you know (that's how 'worms' get around so easy, they send you an email from someone in your address book with a 'payload' attached, you open it 'cos it's from a mate and 'bang' your dead).

Don't forget backing up regular like helps a lot if ever you get a 'nasty'.

cyclic, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Nooney

Nooney

Thats great, thanks very much, especially for the quick response.

5 star answer

Nooney, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Nooney

MarkD60

I have a similar situation, my Firefox works fine, but I have a program called Jasc Paint Shop Pro, that also used to work fine, then suddenly I started getting the User Account Control warning whenever I open it.

I know how to turn User Account Control off and on, but I want to find the list where I get to select what programs give me the warnings and which don't.

As an other example, I have three anti spyware programs, and one gives me the warning and two don't.

I'm looking for the list so I can select.

Does anybody know anything about that?

MarkD60, Feb 29, 2008
  5. Nooney

MarkD60

MarkD60, Feb 29, 2008
  6. Nooney

WAW8

The reason why no one can tell you where the list is -- is because there is no such list.

While UAC does have the capability of behaving differently for individual programs, that is entirely due to characteristics of the program itself. The user has no way of enabling or disabling UAC on a program-by-program basis.

If you have access to the Security Policy snap-in (which you don't unless you have Business or Ultimate), you can fine tune UAC somewhat, but even then, its on a function by function basis, not program by program.

WAW8, Feb 29, 2008
  7. Nooney

doghucat

You can try this right click o the program icon select properties and then click on computability and then down the bottom click on run the program as administrater to elevate privileges on and click on rrun as administrator if the option is there and then you ill not get the uac pop up. I hated the Uac so I switched to Ultimate and Business with full user control then you have less problems in my opinion.

doghucat, Feb 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question