USB Ports Not Working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by DiegoSN, Mar 28, 2007.

1. DiegoSN

DiegoSN

Greetings everyone! This is my first post in this forum, and I hope the many knowledgeable folks that populate this place may be able to help me out with my problem. I search around first to see if someone had run across the same difficulties, but failed to find anything similar. I thank you all in advance for your input.

I own a Hewlett-Packard dv6040us laptop, which I purchased in September 2006. Earlier this year, in late February 2007, I upgraded the OS to Windows Vista Ultimate.

This laptop has 3 USB ports, two on the left side and one on the right side. A few days ago, a USB mouse that I had attached to the lone USB port on the right side stopped working, and I got the "A USB device has malfunctioned..." popup thingie. Up to that point, that mouse had been working perfectly. I tried to unplug it and then plug it in again, to no avail. I chalked it up to the USB mouse just kicking the bucket (it's just a crappy generic device that I got at some airport a while ago) and thought no more of it.

I believe that at that moment I did not have any other USB devices connected to the laptop (and if I did, then they did not seem to malfunction). However, later that day, I tried to connect my BlackBerry (not to that same port, but to one of the two ports on the left side) and noticed that it was not being recognized. In fact, as soon as I connected it, the BlackBerry screen showed the "battery being charged" symbol for a couple of seconds, and then it just went away, as if I had disconnected it.

I then tried a number of other USB devices (a Bluetooth dongle, a 4Gb SanDisk thumbdrive), all of which had been working perfectly up to that moment, and noticed to my dismay that they would not be recognized either, no matter what port I tried to plug them into.

I then tried a couple of things to see if I could fix the situation, but none have worked so far:

- I went into Device Manager and disabled all USB controllers (which are not showing any kind of malfunction icon, by the way) and enabled them again. No good.

- I went into Device Manager and uninstalled all USB controllers, rebooted and then installed them again upon being recognized. No good.

- I used System Restore to restore Vista to a restore point predating the problems. No good.

All searches around the Internet have yielded nothing close to my problem. I am now at my wits' end, and hopefully someone in this friendly forum can come up with some other possible fix that I have not tried yet.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and any suggestion that you might have. Thanks a lot!

DiegoSN, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. DiegoSN

Jason

Do you have the latest updates for your system under windows update? Have you tried uninstalling the USB hub from your device manager, restarting and letting windows re-install it? Or right click the USB port in device manager and let windows search for an updated driver.

Jason, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. DiegoSN

DiegoSN

Thank you for your prompt reply, Jason!

Yes, I have all of the latest updates for my system installed through Windows update (only thing I haven't installed are the optional language packs). I have also tried to uninstall the USB hub from the device manager and rebooting, and I have tried to update the USB port drivers (no new versions were found). Additionally, I have installed an HP Update program for this specific laptop model, and installed all suggested updates (none had anything to do with the USB ports, though). Still no dice.

I wonder if anyone came across this type of scenario or has any other suggestions...

DiegoSN, Mar 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question