USB Hard Disk copy,move big files problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by JoeST, Jul 10, 2007.

1. JoeST

JoeST

Hello to everybody!I hope that somebody can help me!

This is second time that I Installing Vista Ultimate and must come back on XP because Ihave annoying problem with my "Seagate barracuda 160GB UDMA hard disk in externalUSB aluminium enclosure.On Windows XP everything work fine but on Vista something happens when I try to copy or move big files(about 1,2 GB)on or insideexternal USB Hard Disk.After few secondsLED diode on USB HD enclosureswitch on andstay on.Then after few secondserror message appear:"The destination you have specified does not exist.It might be offline network location or an empty CD or DVD Drive.Try again..."After that LED diode turns off and you can see USB HD partitions but you can't open any folder or file.

I try everything:disable write caching e.t.c.,look all over the internet but nothing work.If somebody can help resolve my problem please help.

Thank you very much!

JoeST, Jul 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. JoeST

Jason

Try using cmd prompt to do your copying. I had to do this when I was copy 30Gigs of data over to my pc from my external. For some reason Vista would just quit half way.

Jason, Jul 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. JoeST

JoeST

Thank you for your answer!

Yes I think there is nothing that I can do about this.Only microsoft can resolve this but look like they don't know what's the problem.I will try your way but I cannot backup my computer on my external drive because of this annoying issue.

Greetings!

JoeST, Jul 12, 2007
  4. JoeST

redfox

copying files "The destination you have specified does not exist.

I was having the same problem (error Message :"The destination you have specified does not exist. It might be offline network location or an empty CD or DVD Drive.Try again...") copying files as you described. I was using an all in one SATA HDD docking station combo w/card reader/write+Hub. I finally discovered my problem was that I plugged this unit in another USB Hub. I plugged it in to a direct USB port on the computer and the problem disappeared. I suggest anyone having this problem may want to make sure your USB connection is not causing the problem. Try changing your USB connection to a direct connect USB port on the computer. If your already on a direct connect USB port, try another, the one failing may be faulty. I noticed my failing port would blink right before the error message while all the rest of the other Hub led status ports for its USB port stayed on solid. Other devices on the hub worked fine, changing to another port on the hub did not fix the problem. Changing to a direct connect USB port worked.

redfox, Sep 5, 2010
  5. JoeST

WAW8

Was this a powered hub, that is, do you have to plug in a power supply to the hub?

If not, that is the problem -- the hub is underpowered. USB 2.0 devices need considerably more power than older USN devices, in fact some need so much power that they need their own dedicated controller card.

WAW8, Sep 5, 2010
  6. JoeST

redfox

USB Hard Disk copy,move big files problem Vista Copy

Yes, WAW8, it was a powered hub. The all in one SATA HDD docking station combo w/card reader/write+Hub has its own power supply. Like I said I got the error message when I tried to copy to or from the hard drive in this hub. The problem disppeared when I changed to a direct connect USB port.

redfox, Sep 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question