USB Flash Drive... Full?!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Worship4Ever0227, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Worship4Ever0227

Worship4Ever0227

Hello,

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot...

I recently bought a 2GB (SanDisk Micro Cruzer) to use for ReadyBoost. It worked for a few days, but now it doesn't... I right click on the drive and click properties, and it says that the device is full, and when I click on the "ReadyBoost" tab it says that there isn't enough space available... yet I have nothing on the drive except for the empty folders and U3 installation that it came with.

If I format the drive, will it still be ReadyBoost capable? After all, that is the whole reason I bought the drive.

Thanks

Worship4Ever0227, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Worship4Ever0227

TimeRanger

Have you "explored" the drive to see what is on it?

TimeRanger, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Worship4Ever0227

Worship4Ever0227

Yes....

As I stated above, there is nothing on the drive except for the empty folders that it came with and the U3 Installation... which doesn't take up much room.

See, the ReadyBoost reserves a certain amount of space to use for the ReadyBoost... so that's why it's saying it is full.. but it's no longer recognizing that the reserved space is in fact for ReadyBoost.

4. Worship4Ever0227

Tinman

some1 mentioned in another post that you should be sure hidden files are shown...i believe readyboost creates lots of temp files and does not delete them...they are hidden.

Tinman, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Worship4Ever0227

Worship4Ever0227

Hmm... With hidden files shown, I'm still not seeing anything new except for the system folder (hidden), which is only about 100mb... and my flash drive is a 2GB

:unsure:

6. Worship4Ever0227

WAW8

My guess is that since you were using it for ReadyBoost, Vista essentially filled the USB stick with cached stuff -- and didn't wipe it when you removed the stick. I don't use ReadyBoost, since it's basically a waste of time and money, so I don't have any personal experience with it.

USB sticks are generally formatted as FAT32 -- even when they are several GB in size. So, you should be able to reformat using the same spec. When you insert the stick, Vista will ask you (again) if you want to use ReadyBoost and how much space.

WAW8, Jan 16, 2008
  7. Worship4Ever0227

MrMagic

Here is another tip. On that particular stick, the U3 is a pain in backside. It basically takes up the slot of a CD-ROM drive, making your stick use up 2 drive names. If you go into Control Panel -> System -> Device manager, you can disable the U3 drive on the usb port to which it is attached. This will free the drive letter used back up and will stop the U3 program from loading whenever you plug it in to your machine. I have 2 of these things and that U3 stuff is a pain in the bu**. The only thing you do can is disable that U3 CR-ROM drive listed in devices and reformat as someone else suggested, using the FAT32 format and it SHOULD cure everything. Then if you want to re-dedicate it to Readyboost you can do so or not do so.

Steve

MrMagic, Jan 16, 2008
  8. Worship4Ever0227

Worship4Ever0227

Okay, cool. Will do.

Thanks for your replies/suggestions, everyone. :)

Worship4Ever0227, Jan 16, 2008
  9. Worship4Ever0227

Jason

I always remove that U3 autoplay crap, there is a tool on the web to do it. Very simple. Google for U3 USB removal. Vista doesn't remove cache when you remove the USB drive because...well it doesnt know when you are going to remove it until its gone.

Like said, it was filled up w/ cache. Reformat w/ FAT32 and it will work again w/ ready boost.

Jason, Jan 16, 2008
  10. Worship4Ever0227

Worship4Ever0227

That fixed it - I removed the U3 from it (it automatically reformated it, apparently) and now it works fine.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Worship4Ever0227, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question