USB Driver issues

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by philyus, Feb 20, 2008.

1. philyus

philyus

Hi Guys.

I have seen an issue a few times with USB devices that after initially plugging them in and loading the drivers (sometimes the wrong or old drivers) after repeated re plugging of the usb devices Vista does not see the usb device anymore or offer the option to install any drivers for it. Is this a common issue and what is the easiest way to make vista think that this is a new device as opposed to an existing device that it thinks is working.

Many thanks

Phil

philyus, Feb 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. philyus

WAW8

There is no easy way to make Vista think this is a new device. Once you attach a USB device, Vista loads the driver and saves it away in something known as the DriverStore. When you plugin that device again, using the same port, Vista searches for the driver, finds it, and loads it. If Vista uses a generic USB driver, it may try to use that with every device you plug into the same USB port. If the device is different "enough", Vista will determine that it needs a specific driver and will prompt for it; but if not, Vista will attempt to use an existing driver.

The only way to force Vista to prompt for a driver is to remove the existing driver from the DriverStore. There is a pinned post on how to do that. However, realize that once you install a driver for a device/port, Vista will save it and use that driver from now on.

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. philyus

cmbuck52

Phil....You know, I'm just a user like most of these people, I guess, and one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to computers, it is truly a frustrating and sometimes an impossible task to get someone to help you, even those who know what they are doing. Fact: They just don't care! I read about your problem, noticed it was posted 3-20, and wondered why someone hasn't helped you yet. After 8 years of using a computer at home I have solved probably 90% of problems on my own; just clicking around and looking, reading. Mind you, I don't know anything. I just keep experimenting. I had USB problems up until about 2 weeks ago. I've had the problems for months. Then I read somwhere to go to Device Manager and under "Universal Series BUS Controllers" , right click and "uninstall" everything. Then reboot. Bingo! It recognized and reinstalled drivers just like it was the first time. Can't hurt to try. I'm running Vista Home Premium upgrade on top of XP. Good Luck.

cmbuck52, Mar 28, 2008
  4. philyus

WAW8

Since this is a driver question, I'll be moving this post to the Drivers forum.

There are some pinned posts dealing with USB-driver related problems, but there is no single "miracle cure". The INFCACHE fix works most of the time, but not all of the time.

WAW8, Mar 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question