URGENT!! Logical Partition EXTENDED into Primary Partition.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Koniakki, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki

URGENT!! Hey guys... First of all I would like to say Hello to everyone here.. Its been MANY MANY years since I was in a forum.. I was mostly enjoying reading them and getting my answers or solution from other peoples problems etc.. Until now... I know that this Thread is not the correct one but I thought I should start from here until someone redirect me somewhere else.. Back to my problem..

I bought a new cheap PC with an MSI G31M2 v1 board, with an Intel E4500, DDR2 667, Maxtor 160Gb SATA and an ATI 4770.. The specs are just there for future reference.

I install Vista Ultimate on it. Everything was FINE until, after my last restart half week ago it gave me the BSOD with the error "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" blah blah.. I tried everything I could with no success.. Anw thats NOT my

problem now..

I had 2 Partitions. One Primary 20Gb with the OS and another Logical 129Gb for ALL my data files!!

I inserted the Vista CD to do a re-install and in my desperation and FOR MY BAD LUCK AND STUPID HEAD and not taking seriously the WARNING message "Extending a partition is not a reversible action. If you proceed, you will not be able to undo this action later" I choosed Options from the setup screen and I choose EXTEND and I believe my LOGICAL Partition was Merged with my Primary and now almost 60Gb OF DATA that were on it are gone.. And they were VERY importand files..!! I have HIREN'S v10 but nothing.. Also from the HIREN'S Diagnostics it seems the the HardDrive is Damaged or Corrupted BADLY so I believe I can only try to recover my lost files. Please, if some has a solution for this I will greatly appreciate it.. Forgive my long post and thank you.

P.S: I have attached the HD to another PC and I have 2 Very Good Data Recovery softwares already working on the files. Any other solutions or suggestions are greatly welcome.

Koniakki, Sep 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Koniakki

WAW8

You've already done the most important things:

1) remove the hard drive from daily use

2) set it up to run data recovery software

My own personal experience is that GetDataBack for NTFS worked best in recovering lost files and data. They have a companion produce RecoverMyFiles that did not work so well.

The product costs $80, which is not all that cheap, but it's a lot less than sending your drive to a data recovery outfit and spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to have them do essentially the same thing.

The link is below:

[url]http://www.runtime.org/ [/url]

You can download their free trial. It won't actually recovery anything, but it will give you an accurate view of what it is able to find.

WAW8, Sep 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Koniakki

Koniakki

Thanks WAW8 for your reply.. :) Yeah, for once I did the right thing.. :p Also it seems that Recovery is my only option.. Yeah I´m familiar with GetData. Used it couples years ago.. Seems its time again..

Koniakki, Sep 2, 2009
  4. Koniakki

Koniakki

Ok guys.. After LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of recovering :p, I was able to recover almost all my files and put them on another HD.. :)

Now I have only ONE more question.. Is the Damaged/Corrupted HD usable? I´m a ready to format it and re-install everything on it again.. Thank you.

Koniakki, Sep 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question