Upgrading Vista Ultimate to 64 bit from 32 bit

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cooldrummer321, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cooldrummer321

cooldrummer321

I wanna upgrade my vista ultimate to a 64 bit OS. can i do this without getting rid of any of my old files? i want to keep all the stuff i have right now, but just upgrade to a 64 bit system. how do i do that if possible?

cooldrummer321, Jul 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. cooldrummer321

WAW8

Basically -- NO. You can not "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa.

It requires a complete reinstallation.

BTW, this is true of ALL OSs that come in both 32-bit and 64-bit form, not just Vista.

Also, unless you're planning on using 4GB of system memory (or more), you will see little, if any, performance improvement from running 64-bit.

WAW8, Jul 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. cooldrummer321

cooldrummer321

well, i found out that windows does offer an upgrade disc, it costs 10$ for shipping. and if i were to reinstall vista to a 64 bit system, can i keep all of my old files? when i reinstalled 32 bit vista it made a file called "windows.old" that had all of my old files. and i have 5 gigs of RAM, and it would make a difference on my pc having a 64 bit system.

cooldrummer321, Jul 31, 2010
  4. cooldrummer321

WAW8

The "files" that are saved are your data files. As far as I know, it does NOT save the applications in a form that can be reinstalled.

Thus, you would have to do a clean install, would be able to copy back your data files and settings, but you would have to reinstall all your applications from scratch.

WAW8, Aug 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question