Upgrading from XP to Vista Business on Latitude D610

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by seamustry, Feb 6, 2008.

1. seamustry

seamustry

I'm considering upgrading to Vista on Dell Latitude D610 but I'm not convinced if I should do it or not...Maybe some of you can share your experiences with me after reading my specs for laptop:

1.86 GHz Centrino Processor (single core)

2 GB RAM

XP Pro SP2

60 GB HD

ATI Mobility Radeon x300 with 32 MB onboard VRAM

Intel Chipset (don't remember which one lol)

OK so I ran upgrade advisor and it gave me a warning that my graphics card won't support Aero, which is one of the main reasons I want Vista...

Does anyone here have that graphics card and running Aero??

Also, advice on upgrading would be appreciated.

Thanks!

seamustry, Feb 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. seamustry

WAW8

The Dell Latitude uses the Intel 915 chipset -- which I know for a fact, does not, and will not support Aero. How do I know that? I have the misfortune of having a tablet PC running just that chipset and have tried every patch and hack available -- without success.

There have been some reports of people with Dells with 945 and 950 chipsets that didn't boot up running Aero, but were able to force it to work, but the only Intel 915 drivers available specifically do NOT support aero, and the other drivers don't work on that chipset.

WAW8, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. seamustry

seamustry

Are you sure the chipset itself won't support Aero or is it the integrated graphics that come with the chipset? If so, I've got an ATI graphics card in my laptop and I've read on a few websites that they've had Aero working using that graphics card on the same laptop that I have...

seamustry, Feb 9, 2008
  4. seamustry

WAW8

My mistake, sorry ...

While the Intel 915 chipset does NOT support Aero, I didn't notice that your machine is running an ATI X300 mobile Radeon -- which, according to the AMD/ATI site does support Vista.

WAW8, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question