Upgrade Vista from fresh install of same ?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jwill58, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jwill58

jwill58

I've read where one could do a fresh install of the upgrade version , then afterwards upgrade the same version-ending up with what is basically an upgrade version fresh install ?

jwill58, Apr 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jwill58

warlord

That is correct,1stBoot from the DVD,Not from XP or Vista,DO NOT ENTER your activation key when prompted the first time...It will install whatever upgrade version you have which will have a 30 day limit ,when its done you now must boot into the Vista operating system ,run the DVD again, when prompted YOU NOW enter your activation key and it will install the upgrade over existing version....when finished you are the proud owner of a fresh install of Vista,you can activate it online and your good to go.....Did it with my Vista Ultimate upgrade version onto a clean HD....saved myself $150.00

warlord, Apr 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jwill58

jwill58

Yes , I've read and tried this same thing over and over-well twice so far.....I may have screwed the pooch when I was through with the first install-I updated some drivers and installed an antivirus program. Anyway , when I tried to upgrade-I get an error at the end that states "your update was unsuccessful due to a conflict with your hardware. Anybody else have any experence with this procedeue.

jwill58

jwill58, Apr 18, 2007
  4. jwill58

warlord

Did you try completely reformatting the HD getting rid of all traces of previous attempts thenBooting from the Disc,then do a clean install as per instruction,seems the first install you stated worked since you updated some drivers, thats when everything went south....another thing to check is your motherboard BIOS make sure they are up to date...also check to see if all your hardware is vista compliant...It looks like a really new setup so you should have no issues other than drivers....

warlord, Apr 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question