Upgrade to Ultimate

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by pacman52, Sep 10, 2009.

1. pacman52

pacman52

Hi Guys my first post here - so hopefully it's in the right area of the forum.

I am currently running Vista Business on a Sony Vaio laptop (Z11VN) I have been given a copy of Vista Ulitmate (Legitimate copy I should add !)

The DVD is a Windows Anytime Upgrade Packfrom Vista Business to Vista ultimate (with SP2) - My question is should I do this upgrade? will there be anyreal benefits or is it likely to cause me any problems with compatibilty etc..

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

Pau

pacman52, Sep 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. pacman52

lorenkjr1

When I look back at it, there is no real compeling reason to upgrade to it. Why? Unless you need the extra network, Ultimate Extra stuff aamong other things; there is no reason to go above Vista Home Premium. About the only feature I really care about in Ultimate is the ability to use Unix. If you use Vista Ultimate right out of the box without making any adjustments for things you do not need to run, it's going to use a lot of memory you may not want to use. The Ultimate Extras as far as I can see, have been discontinued and did not amount to anything anyway. Among other things, a card game, which most people can do without.

For the price of $219.00 which I guess it still is, it is less of thrill or please than some people would be lead to believe. It does come with both 32 bit and 64 bit install disks but, so what? It's just everything in one package that most people will never use or want for that matter. Save your money and go for something else. By the way, same goes for Windows 7 Ultimate. Unless you need what it comes with, get Home Premium or Professional.

lorenkjr1, Sep 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. pacman52

WAW8

It's a tough call, especially since you already have the copy of Ultimate, but consider your longer-term OS goals for the PC. If you stick with business, you'll be able to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 pro -- which will cost you less than Ultimate, which is LESS of a good deal with Windows 7 than is was with Vista.

If you upgrade the laptop to Ultimate, then 7 Ultimate is the only in-place upgrade you'll be offered.

Unless you have a compelling need for the Ultimate-only features, I'd stay with Business.

WAW8, Sep 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question