Updates fail, System Repair fails, System Restore won't work

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by papastorm, Dec 6, 2011.

1. papastorm

papastorm

Hi, my name is Stormy, I'm new to this forum since I really haven't had any issues in the past.

I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit on my desktop. I restarted it a few days ago to install SP1, it rebooted and started installing 3 updates. Once it reached 100% it kicked into System Repair. After running through it, it restarted and did the same thing. Now 3 days later, it's still in that process where it installs updates, goes to system repair, restarts and starts again.

I tried interrupting it and doing a System Restore, but even at the earliest date on it, it goes right back to that repetitive process. Now I can't get to any of my files or anything else on there. I'm stuck, and I need some help please!

papastorm, Dec 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. papastorm

d_l

Here is what I would try as first steps ..

Startup in Safe Mode .. holding down F8 key .. explained here ..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Does that work?

Next reboot again using F8 key and try Safe Mode with Networking option to check that you can access the internet.

Does that work?

Next try System Restore via command line while in Safe Mode ..

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

Does that work?

d_l, Dec 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. papastorm

papastorm

I've tried that, everytime I select safe mode, it goes right back into the updates to system repair loop. The only thing I can get to is the Command Prompt from the Repair Your Computer selection after pressing F8 on startup. If I can somehow stop the updates from there I could probably get in.

papastorm, Dec 6, 2011
  4. papastorm

d_l

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    d_l, Dec 6, 2011
  5. papastorm

WAW8

WAW8, Dec 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question