unwanted window on desktop

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Marcos989, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Marcos989

Marcos989

Home Premium 32, just reformatted HP pavilion tx1k, all MS updates installed to date.

I have a window on the desktop that will not allow me to get rid of it.
    Mouse right click with-in the problem window does not function.
    Refresh on the desktop (outside the problem window) does not change a thing.
    Crap Cleaner trash & registry fix run, no change.
    problem window does not offer the CLOSE Button (X)

see attachment.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Attached Files:

Marcos989, Nov 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Marcos989

clifford_cooley

What happens if you change Windows to a different theme?

Looking at startup entries with CCleaner, do you see anything that may be related to this window?

clifford_cooley, Nov 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Marcos989

Marcos989

Changed the theme: no change with the problem window.
    I inspected Crap Cleaner (see attachment: problem1)
    I turned off all items I think do not need to be on now as I attempt to troubleshoot (attachment problem 3).
    Will restart in 1 hr as in the midddle of copying now & will post results.

thanx for the quick reply.

Attached Files:

Marcos989, Nov 26, 2011
  4. Marcos989

Marcos989

I re-booted after making the above changes in CCleaner.
    No difference.
    This damn window is still on my desktop.

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  5. Marcos989

d_l

Some diagnostic tools

Here is another tool which might help in troubleshooting

http://live.sysinternals.com/

download autoruns.exe and autoruns.chm and place them in a tools folder such as C:\sysinternals\

run it to inspect ..

Another tool I sometimes find useful .. AutoIT3 Window Spy .. does require autohotkey to be installed .. http://www.autohotkey.com

AutoIT3 Window Spy identifies the window you hover over and you can use this info to identify the running process.

autohotkey has many other uses so installing it might prove useful for future usage (hotkeys and automation).

d_l, Nov 27, 2011
  6. Marcos989

Marcos989

Thank's I have downloaded everything but AutoIT3 Window Spy so far.
    So far all the downloads of this are containing trojans.
    I am not downloading anything without the exact name.
    I have not used these programs before, this will be a new process for me.

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  7. Marcos989

d_l

probably false alarms ..

Probably a false detection of trojans since Window Spy can dive right down into the bowels of windows.

However if you are not comfortable with ignoring the warnings then don't try that option.

You can see the pedigree of autohotkey at their site.

Sysinternals is a well respected source of tools.

You wrote "I am not downloading anything without the exact name"

When you just install autohotkey (ignoring all the anti-trojan warnings) and
    then go to All Programs > AutoHotkey folder

you will see Window Spy in the list to run.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    d_l, Nov 27, 2011
  8. Marcos989

Marcos989

Understood about AutoIT3 Window Spy trojan alert, agreed but without knowing if it is a false positive I won't risk it. I have battled 16 ht's p/day for 7 days to get this computer reformatted to this point!
    No exageration.

Now, I have run the sys internals and looked at the results but do not have a clue....
    Auto Hotkey run, again I don't have much of a clue.

I can see this taking me all day.

I ran a Temp File Cleaner prgm from Cnet and it found >5Gb of crap, but the problem window still on the desktop.

I have never worked with scripts.

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  9. Marcos989

Marcos989

2 snapshots attached which might help someone help me.

Judging from problem 4 & 5 images the source of the problem is identified and now I need to
    use AutoRun to find this source and turn it off, correct?

Would that be in IE first ?

The notepad info is Greek to me......I am not Greek.

Appreciate the attention up-front.

Attached Files:

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  10. Marcos989

d_l

We've all been through the pain of recovering from windows crashes. I've now got Ubuntu on a second boot.

Let's take it step by step .. but without using autohotkey at this stage .. only the utilities from sysinternals.

When you launch autoruns.exe you do see a GUI with many different tabs?

You can start by clicking on "Help" to read the manual (assuming that you've also downloaded autoruns.chm).

Some relevant tabs ..

Services .. shows what processes are running with paths to the programs

there should be a process in that list which is the one creating your unwanted window.

Observation: You have Google Chrome on the desktop image you posted .. is that a clue?

[Postscript]

Your images posted (while I was posting) yields some more clues ..

Read google search here ..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

and from the above search here is the Microsoft reply to a question ..

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f5?msgId=7b83b2e5-1764-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

d_l, Nov 27, 2011
  11. Marcos989

Marcos989

I reboot, run CCleaner and the window is there.
    Chrome never started.
    Not a clue to me.

Attached Files:

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  12. Marcos989

d_l

Please see my postscript to my last post and follow Microsoft's suggestion.

d_l, Nov 27, 2011
  13. Marcos989

Marcos989

great.....I'll get back after I try that.....thank-you.

Marcos989, Nov 27, 2011
  14. Marcos989

Marcos989

Unable to resolve.
    The "read the manual" comment, subsequent 8 hr's invested combined with HP hardware problems have led me to try to re-format again and begin the week long process, again.

thanks for the help given.

Marcos989, Nov 28, 2011
  15. Marcos989

d_l

In fact .."read the manual" showed the clue (from your snapshots above) that even an internal help manual could not be displayed .. and this does suggest a problem in Internet Explorer (which is used to read the autohotkey.chm file).

Did you reinstall IE?

It is a bit drastic step to reformat ..

Could you not try to repair first?

If you are now retreading your path of reinstallation I suggest that as soon as you have a basic system working you save a restore point (and thereafter regularly) so that you can repair rather than reinstall in future. Forget the advice on using autohotkey (although it did reveal the problem).

d_l, Nov 28, 2011
  16. Marcos989

Marcos989

"In fact .."read the manual" showed the clue (from your snapshots above) that even an internal help manual could not be displayed ."
    I do not understand that statement. No offense.
    I am a native English speaker.

I was not aware it is possible to un\re-install IE.
    I did reset the program via MSN Fix-It, no change.

I did not select reformat the damn computer did it for me. All sorts of problems in the last week with this machine.

Repair does not work because normal shut-down and restart does not function properly.
    I am spending 15 minutes and 15-20 attempts to restart, when it restarts 1 out of 10 restarts is normal.

I turned off every item in SERVICES that I could and no change.
    System restore does not work because of the restart problem.

Soon as I get out of Brazil where I can buy a comp. at less than >100% markup over US prices I will ditch this HP machine and not buy another HP.

The help I was asking for was that you were able to decipher the clue from the images I provided. I was\am not.

Marcos989, Nov 28, 2011
  17. Marcos989

d_l

I'm sorry .. but here is my take on this ..

Your first image (Saturday November 26th) gave no clue as to what webpage was trying to be opened and "navigation cancelled".

Your second image only showed that you had some programs launched at startup.

It was only the third image (showing autohotkey file structure) which showed that the same window "navigation cancelled" you had been referring to also appeared when trying to open an (autohotkey) help manual.

This gave the clue that your "unwanted window" was not an internet problem but in fact even internal help files could not be opened.

Try opening "Help" in any of your programs and quite likely you will see the same "navigation to the webpage was cancelled".

That additional thread of information was helpful.

I am surprised that the computer took over control from you to reformat.
    Were you not prompted? I really don't think you can blame the hardware. HP is a good name.

"The help I was asking for was that you were able to decipher the clue from the images I provided."

As explained above the only thing I "deciphered" was the fact that you could not open a help manual.

Here is a simple google search on this topic .. (I use firefox as my browser)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=na...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

This blogger (with identical symptoms to yours) suggests right click on the chm file and unblock ..

http://www.gregcons.com/KateBlog/CHMFilesAndNavigationWasCancelledFix.aspx

Here is another blogger ..

http://www.helpsmith.com/chm-cannot-be-displayed.php

=====================================

3. Your CHM is Blocked by a Security Update for Windows XP or Vista

Since CHM consists of compiled HTML files, it can contain harmful scripts. That is why Windows security updates may block its content.

To unblock a trusted CHM file:

Right click your CHM file and select "Properties" on the popup menu.
    On the "General" tab, click the "Unblock" button.
    Then click "OK".

So the solution could be quite simple.

What if you launch in "safe mode"? Symptoms still there?

Can you download a Vista Recovery Disk?

[Postscript}

Another suggestion .. can you go to Control Panel > User Accounts and create another user account with administrator rights.

Launch in that user account and see if you get the same symptoms.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    d_l, Nov 28, 2011
  18. Marcos989

Marcos989

Your first image (Saturday November 26th) gave no clue as to what webpage was trying to be opened and Navigation Cancelled window.**Agreed.

Your second image only showed that you had some programs launched at startup.Agreed.

It was only the third image (showing autohotkey file structure) which showed that the same window Navigation Cancelled window you had been referring to also appeared when trying to open an (autohotkey) help manual.**Agreed.

This gave the clue that your "unwanted window" was not an internet problem but in fact even internal help files could not be opened.**Do not have any reason to agree, I do not see the evidence for that conclusion..

Try opening "Help" in any of your programs and quite likely you will* see the same "Navigation Cancelled window". I understand you but too late now, I am in the middle of re-installing SP1 & then SP 2 after another reformat. I never tried to open a help manual before when the Navigation Cancelled window would pop up.

That additional thread of information was helpful.

I am surprised that the computer took over control from you to reformat.**Yes, só was I .
    Were you not prompted?*I did select F11 to get to SETUP but I did not select an option it just went there, as I recall. I was intending to try REPAIR first.
    I really don't think you can blame the hardware.* HP is a good name.
    I suggest you do a simple search on HP Pavilions tx1000 & dv6000 (2007-8) concerning the heat problems, poor solder standards, faulty motherboards, dissaperaing WiFi and the Class Action lawsuit that HP neglected to inform their registered owners about. NTM the consistently poorest in the industry Customer Service.

"The help I was asking for was that you were able to decipher the clue from the images I provided."

As explained above the only thing I "deciphered" was the fact that you could not open a help manual. The Navigation Cancelled window window ( the problem) would open automatically minutes after booting up, perhaps after I opened Chrome or not, I do not recall. I removed Chrome and the same problem, reset IE same problem, I do believe that it would pop up after I opened a browser. The help manual I accessed from the file you suggested (autorun.cmd) was after the Navigation Cancelled window window opened frozen on the desktop.

Here is a simple google search on this topic .. (I use firefox as my browser) só do I most the time, I have been trying Chrome out lately.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=na...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
    I would not have thought to include the chm files in the search; as I described before this help file was installed after the problem existed.
    This blogger (with identical symptoms to yours) suggests right click on the chm file and unblock ..
    What chm file? The autorun.chm file you suggested? Not aware it was blocked, it seemed to operate fine as a help manual.

http://www.gregcons.com/KateBlog/CHMFilesAndNavigationWasCancelledFix.aspx

Here is another blogger ..

http://www.helpsmith.com/chm-cannot-be-displayed.php

I will check these out just for education sake.
    Hopefully IF I am able to get this thing up and running I will never see this problem again as i have never seen it before.

3. Your CHM is Blocked by a Security Update for Windows XP or Vista

Since CHM consists of compiled HTML files, it can contain harmful scripts. That is why Windows security updates may block its content.

To unblock a trusted CHM file:

* * Right click your CHM file and select "Properties" on the popup menu.
    * * On the "General" tab, click the "Unblock" button.
    * * Then click "OK".
    Understood, now But that would not apply to the Navigation Cancelled window as right click resulted in nothing.

So the solution could be quite simple. Perhaps...

What if you launch in "safe mode"?* Symptoms still there?
    No symptoms, I did security scans to make sure this was not malware related no malware and no Navigation Cancelled window. I did connect to the net but learned I could not download/install Windows Updates in safe mode.

Can you download a Vista Recovery Disk? I have just gotten booted up after 6 hr's of work. I hope this does not happen again.
    I plan to do nothing but get this machine updated via MSN recommended updates. Then security software then my programs. Going slowly, lots of Restore Points, expect this to take 3 days 16hr p/d.

As an underwater robotic technician (ROV) I have been reminded of the adage....if it anin't broken don't fix it.
    Thanks for your time.
    Adios.

Marcos989, Nov 28, 2011
  19. Marcos989

Marcos989

For purposes of educating others.
    1. I reformatted and still had the problem.
    2. I ran all my security programs in SAFE MODE, everything was cleaned.
    3. Re-booted, pop-up still there
    4. For what I believe to be the 1st time the pop-up file appeared in Task Manager.
    5. Highlight the task, right click and select Go To Process, which will take you there with the
    file highlighted.
    6. select End Process

That removed the pop-up, we will see if it happens next boot-up.
    If so then I need to identify this in Services and disable it's schedule to run.

Bar further problems this will be my last post on this matter.

:)

Marcos989, Dec 1, 2011
  20. Marcos989

d_l

Here is one final (non MSN) tip ..

To avoid the pain of having to reinstall in future get a spare USB drive and create a cloned image of your now working Windows configuration.

Clonezilla creates your image .. http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

You might consider dual booting with ubuntu (on different partitions .. not the same Windows partition) at some later stage after you have created your cloned image as your insurance policy. If Windows fails you then have ubuntu to access your Windows files.

d_l, Dec 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question