Unusual Vista SP1 Problem

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by n_ea_l, Oct 19, 2008.

1. n_ea_l

n_ea_l

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this issue which has left me scratching my head repeatedly.

I've recently upgraded to Vista from XP, and am using a Sony Vaio AR66 notebook, 1.66Ghz and 4Gb RAM installed, although the machine only seems to recognise 3Gb. I am operating Vista Home Premium.

Anyway, I am now just uninstalled SP1 for the third time after encountering the same problems each time. I had hoped the third install might have worked since I have recently upgraded my RAM from 2Gb, but no joy.

Basically when I install SP1 everything seems fine until i start to browse the internet. That too will work 100% for a period of time then my browser will hang. This is happening in IE7, Firefox and Opera. With normal browsing I will get about a max of 30 mins browsing, but this time will shorted if I attempt to open more than about 5 tabs in the browser, if I download a file, or if I use skype. After any of thes, it hangs immediately.

Then if I close the browser and try to reopen it windows tells me that the browser is already open and I must close it before opening again. This occurs even when I end the process in task manager.

I have tried switching off "Recieve Windows Auto-Tuning" but this makes no difference.

Finally when I then restart the computer I can then browse for another 30 mins or so until the same thing happens again. However, even restarting the machine causes problems. In something like 1 out of 3 restarts the machine will not shutdown unless I hold the power switch. Again I only experience this with SP1 installed.

I do not have this problem with SP1 not installed, and regularly I would just say forget it, but I am not impressed generally by Vista's Internet performance, which is sluggish compared to an XP machine running through the same router on the same 10Mb connection, and I have heard that SP1 when working properly improves this so would like to install it if possible.

Any help on this would be gratefully recieved. I would say my understanding of PC's is superficial/moderate so any help at that level would be extra-welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Neal

n_ea_l, Oct 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. n_ea_l

WAW8

As to not seeing the whole 4GB, if you're running 32-bit Vista, you'll only get access to a little over 3GB -- even though it may "see" all 4GB. That's an addressing limitation.

As to the 30-minute limit and SP1, there's no basic reason why it should be doing this. My suggestion is that you go through the following process:

1) run MSCONFIG

2) open the startup tab

3) uncheck all the items

4) reboot

That will prevent all the startup items from launching. Then, see if you still get the hang-up around 30 minutes. If you do, it's not a startup-related problem; if you don't, it IS a startup-related problem, and in that case, you would want to enable one startup item at a time, and reboot running each one until you find the one that is causing the hang-up.

WAW8, Oct 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question