Unlocked the Media Center option in Business with Home Premium

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ckoniecny, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ckoniecny

ckoniecny

I currently have Windows Vista Business Edition installed on my laptop, but I have my free Home Premium upgrade coming from Dell since I bought my laptop in December. Is it possible for me to unlock the Media Center options that comes with Home Premium in Business Edition?

The reason I ask is because Business Edition does not have the capability, but Home Premium does. I know Business Edition has Media Center installed, but just needs to be unlocked. Does this have to be unlocked by a higher version, like Ultimate, or will Home Premium work?

ckoniecny, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ckoniecny

blackhat

"The features of the Home Premium and Ultimate editions may be "unlocked" at any time by purchasing a one-time upgrade license through a Control Panel tool called Windows Anytime Upgrade. The Business edition will also be upgradable to Ultimate. Such licenses will be sold by Microsoft's partners and OEMs, but not directly by Microsoft."

well here's your answer

blackhat, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ckoniecny

ckoniecny

But what I'm asking is, if I have Windows Vista Business Edition currently installed, can I unlock the Media Center options that come from Home Premium? So Business Edition will have Media Center capabilities?

Thanks.

ckoniecny, Feb 4, 2007
  4. ckoniecny

blackhat

I've tried it and it doesn't work. I can't find anything on the cd that will unlock things.

I tried it with the same cd as I installed vista business. it should work because all vista versions are on the disk (it's the key where you pay for. you can install ULTIMATE with a HOME BASIC disk when you have an vista ULTIMATE key. it is possible without key but you can use it only 30 days)

blackhat, Feb 4, 2007
  5. ckoniecny

Blankfrank

The text you quoted mentioned it was possible to upgrade from Business Edition to Ultimate Edition, not to upgrade to Home Premium (which is more of a side-step)

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can use the features of the two editions, it's either one or other (or pay the ridiculous Ultimate prices to have everything :crazy:)

Blankfrank, Feb 5, 2007
  6. ckoniecny

blackhat

the only way is to buy licences from microsoft (wich are probably for more than 1 pc and really expensive)

blackhat, Feb 5, 2007
  7. ckoniecny

Camride

I'm sure at some point someone will figure out how to "unlock" the features that are installed in vertain versions but not accessible. Until then you're kinda stuck. If you really want Media Center you'll need to install Home Premium that you have and get rid of Business edition. Right now I can't see anyway around it.

:)

Camride, Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question